The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Extended studs for Magneride Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Zeeland, MI
The magneride cars have the same hub/knuckle as the GT350 as noted above. I also did the same as @o-man, but went with the ARP studs from Summit ARP-100-7733, FP lug nuts FMS-M-1012-N and a cheap spacer made from something like this off ebay http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338634152&icep_item=191156083019
You spend $35, pound out the studs and have a hubcentric lightweight spacer. Surprised more don't do the same, but I have a shoestring racing budget, so I re-engineer all I can.

I think the non Mag cars have 3 bolts holding the hub to the knuckle so you can therefore rotate the hub to knock out a stud without removing the hub itself. With the GT350/MR hubs, this isn't an option. They must be removed to get the stud out. Don't forget a little blue locite when reinstalling and if memory serves me, one bolt is impossible to torque... you'll have make your best guess on that one.
So you went with the bolt on style spacer vs one that required extended studs? I was also wondering why more people weren't doing that. Wasn't sure if they aren't as strong or it is a weight thing

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
So you went with the bolt on style spacer vs one that required extended studs? I was also wondering why more people weren't doing that. Wasn't sure if they aren't as strong or it is a weight thing
He bought bolt on spacers, yes, but note that he said he pounded out the studs on the spacers so they act like slip on spacers for less money.
DO NOT use bolt on spacers. They're only more points of failure.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Zeeland, MI
He bought bolt on spacers, yes, but note that he said he pounded out the studs on the spacers so they act like slip on spacers for less money.
DO NOT use bolt on spacers. They're only more points of failure.
I read that as him pounding the original studs out the hub. Makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the explaination

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Folsom, Ca.
I have a 2021 GT Non-Magneride but it has the Magneride style front hub that Ford switched over to in May 2021 (I read on a forum). My dilemma is this. I have a Ford Perf hub for earlier spindle steering knuckles, with the elusive ARP long studs.I was hoping to bolt them on but what a surprise when I pulled the wheel. I thought well, just put the long studs on the new magneride style hub but...look at the thickness difference between the plates the wheel bolts to. Do you think they are safe for track use with longer studs and wheel spacer/ sticky tires?

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_2098.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Your hubs are definitely different from my 2019 Bullitt. But looking where the studs go in, the hub appears at least as thick as the old style hub. My opinion for what its worth would be to run the ARP studs in your current hubs

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Th
I have a 2021 GT Non-Magneride but it has the Magneride style front hub that Ford switched over to in May 2021 (I read on a forum). My dilemma is this. I have a Ford Perf hub for earlier spindle steering knuckles, with the elusive ARP long studs.I was hoping to bolt them on but what a surprise when I pulled the wheel. I thought well, just put the long studs on the new magneride style hub but...look at the thickness difference between the plates the wheel bolts to. Do you think they are safe for track use with longer studs and wheel spacer/ sticky tires?

View attachment 75893

View attachment 75894

View attachment 75895

View attachment 75896
They are the same thickness at the stud bosses so you can swap studs. They just lightened the wheel flange on that hub, first time I've seen them. Thanks for posting.

View attachment 75893

View attachment 75894

View attachment 75895

View attachment 75896

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Folsom, Ca.
Fabulous info I have not seen anywhere. THANK YOU. I have purchased spacers off your site but missed this. The silent roll out and no mention of these hubs on other vendor sites has been most frustrating.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks for posting Tim!! I went through the same issue with my Mach 1 well over a year ago after ordering a racing hub from a non TMO Sponsor. They assured me it would work on my Mach 1 ( with the handling package ) but as both of us found out that is not the case. It took me close to 3 months to get a refund even though they assured me it was correct. Fortunately the Lead Tech at Woodhouse Ford in Blair , Ne. ( he was my Motorsports Tech with Vipers when I was selling the Snakes at their Dodge Dealer across the street ) confirmed what you found out. I believe the new hub is for all S550s after a point in 2021, but there were some other crazy changes. Unrelated, but Ford also made a change in the rear seat belt computer safety data , as adding a rear seat delete kit to my car causes a rear seat malfunction light on the dash. No biggie, as you just hit the OK button and it goes off yet a crazy situation when the car comes with a rear seat delete option in 2021. No issue with adding a rear seat delete kit in 2020 or back..........just another fun 2021 change.

Posting this info and the fact that you have the right stuff for the right car should help folks see how important it can be to work with TMO Sponsors who know Mustangs , but more importantly know the situations with those who track them.

TMO Supporting Vendors