The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Extended studs for Magneride Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Wondering if anyone has been able to install extended studs on a MAGNERIDE equipped car. The front hubs are different. Instead of one big central mounting point, the hub has four smaller bolts holding it to the spindle. Didn't pay too much attention while installing springs, but noticed the Ford Performance/ARP are not for MR cars. I don't think there is enough room to press a long stud in

2v2HBYy7Nx1Ybjq.jpg

Tim at OP Mustang would be the authority on this, I would contact him. He deals with hard parts all day long. I know somebody makes them because the "bullet" studs are used on the GT4 cars

Theres a youtube video of a guy doing them on his s550 without taking anything off except rotor and caliper.....or you can just buy the op mustang ones....theyre on sale if you dont want to press them in.

one thing i severely suggest is getting a stud installer tool and using a torque wrench when put them in and not an impact. While you’re there do the caliper studs too

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
I think I have answered my own question thanks to the Googles. Appears GT350Rs have extended length studs. Waiting to hear back from dealer to verify. Also, OPMustangs has a set up for GT350's and Magneride cars.

Bay Area
I think I have answered my own question thanks to the Googles. Appears GT350Rs have extended length studs. Waiting to hear back from dealer to verify. Also, OPMustangs has a set up for GT350's and Magneride cars.
Yes the 350R has 3" studs on the front. I dont recall what the GT350 has but its obviously shorter. Im just too lazy to go to my garage and pull the parts out and measure. If I was in your position Id just buy the 350R hub with the extended lugs. Im pretty sure it will be worth the money rather than trying to replace the studs in the hub you have now.

Good luck and have fun no mater which route you go.

Last edited:

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Get the studs from Tim at OPMustang, he has a new version with a nice bullet nose and the material is higher quality than the OEM Ford studs. I found you have to remove the hubs to install.

So im going to try and tackle the arp studs next weekend. Im thinking of removing front studs, hitting out studs with a 3/4’’ pipe on back side against ground So they fall out, install hubs back on knuckle and tap studs back in, mount stock rim with stock lug and torque down wheel to 140ft lbs working across to keep studs straight as they are guided through.

orrrr just buy the OP pre done ones lol and sell the studs

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Spain

Can you update please? Is anything special required to install on magneride-equipped cars?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Spain
The studs on a 350r are extended. Not because of MagneRide but because the stock CF wheels have a thicker center where the aluminum center meets with the CF.

Ok, but it seems there is something different with the wheel hub on magneride-equipped cars, and as the op says, opmustang has one kit at USD 469.95 (https://www.opmustang.com/store/p323/S550RSpecHubKit.html#) which it says will not fit on magneride-cars, and another one for USD 675.95 (https://www.opmustang.com/store/p31...Hub_Assemblies_With_Racing_Wheel_Stud_.html#/) which they say will fit.

I can't tell what the difference is from the pictures on opmustang and wonder whether the difference would affect anything if I were to buy just the wheel studs to install myself (hopefully via a garage which has a press to eject the existing oem studs)? E.g. if I could use this set from cortexracing, that'd be a lot cheaper than the small fortune it would cost to get pre-installed sets on all four wheels from opmustang: https://cortexracing.com/product/wheel-stud-kit-1-2-inch-2015-2019-ford-mustang-s550-front-and-rear/

I think I don't need extended ARP studs on the rear wheels to fit 19x11 (please correct me if I'm wrong), but if the price is not too much it would be aesthetically more pleasing of course to have it on all corners, and I see you recommend it for the added strength when tracking if nothing else.

Think the 3" studs in the set above are good if I want to install 19x11 on the front of Mustang GT with Brembo calipers, with the required spacer depending on what wheels I manage to get?

In the V6L
Ok, but it seems there is something different with the wheel hub on magneride-equipped cars, and as the op says, opmustang has one kit at USD 469.95 (https://www.opmustang.com/store/p323/S550RSpecHubKit.html#) which it says will not fit on magneride-cars, and another one for USD 675.95 (https://www.opmustang.com/store/p31...Hub_Assemblies_With_Racing_Wheel_Stud_.html#/) which they say will fit.

I can't tell what the difference is from the pictures on opmustang and wonder whether the difference would affect anything if I were to buy just the wheel studs to install myself (hopefully via a garage which has a press to eject the existing oem studs)? E.g. if I could use this set from cortexracing, that'd be a lot cheaper than the small fortune it would cost to get pre-installed sets on all four wheels from opmustang: https://cortexracing.com/product/wheel-stud-kit-1-2-inch-2015-2019-ford-mustang-s550-front-and-rear/

I think I don't need extended ARP studs on the rear wheels to fit 19x11 (please correct me if I'm wrong), but if the price is not too much it would be aesthetically more pleasing of course to have it on all corners, and I see you recommend it for the added strength when tracking if nothing else.

Think the 3" studs in the set above are good if I want to install 19x11 on the front of Mustang GT with Brembo calipers, with the required spacer depending on what wheels I manage to get?
I think you've blended three questions into one, and that's getting in the way of receiving a clear answer.

First, I don't know - others might but I don't - whether the GT350 front hubs are interchangeable with GT Magride hubs. They might be, they might not be. If they are, then GT350 parts will fit your GT hubs. If not, then no.

Second, you haven't said what wheel offsets you're going to have. There are wheels available in 19x11 that don't require spacers for the front (ET26 from Apex, for instance that can't be used on the rear) but if you're running a square set at ET52 then you'll need a spacer somewhere around 25mm or so, and that will require extended studs.

Third, you can install longer studs yourself or at a shop with a press. Take the hub off, press out the old, press in the new. Done. If you're running 25mm spacers up front, then use the 1/2" longer studs on the rear (for appearance sake) and the 1" longer ones up front (for the spacers).

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Spain
I think you've blended three questions into one, and that's getting in the way of receiving a clear answer.

First, I don't know - others might but I don't - whether the GT350 front hubs are interchangeable with GT Magride hubs. They might be, they might not be. If they are, then GT350 parts will fit your GT hubs. If not, then no.

Thanks, I was mostly curious what the difference is that makes one set fit magneride, and the other not.

Second, you haven't said what wheel offsets you're going to have. There are wheels available in 19x11 that don't require spacers for the front (ET26 from Apex, for instance that can't be used on the rear) but if you're running a square set at ET52 then you'll need a spacer somewhere around 25mm or so, and that will require extended studs.

Third, you can install longer studs yourself or at a shop with a press. Take the hub off, press out the old, press in the new. Done. If you're running 25mm spacers up front, then use the 1/2" longer studs on the rear (for appearance sake) and the 1" longer ones up front (for the spacers).

I want to get the cheapest square 19x11 set, but I'm not sure what that will be. I want to have a square set so I can rotate all the tires and hopefully save some money on that in the longer run. If I order now I can ship via the parcel forwarder in the USA together with the Vorshlag camber plates I've already ordered, which is a lot cheaper than doing a separate shipment later. It will also take me some months to get the camber plates and install them I think, so planned on seeing what 19x11 wheels I can find for the lowest cost in the meantime. Maybe something usable would turn up in the classifieds here too.

Also I didn't think about that the studs on the rear should preferably be a bit shorter than on the front where I will have the spacers, so they don't stick out too much, so thanks for that too. Will think some more about this.

In the V6L
On the interchange question, here's the GT Magride hub and knuckle (the piece that the hub bolts to) for the GT (taken from the first post in this thread):

1612284927626.png

Here's a GT350 front knuckle and hub:

1612284973990.png

The GT knuckle appears to be cast iron and the GT350 knuckle is cast aluminum, but they have the same mounting system for the wheel bearing and hub assembly. It's possible that the hubs have the same dimensions and bolt pattern for both hubs, which would make them interchangeable, but there's no guarantee.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Sorry for late response, been some late nights at work. The magneride cars evidently have the same set up as the GT350's. You don't need a press. I balanced my hub on two old brake rotors and knocked the old studs out with a hammer. then used one of these along with some washers to install the OPMustang studs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ETUD22/?tag=tmo302-20
Don't hold me to this, but I think the non-magneride cars have a single nut through the center of hub that holds them to the upright Vs. the four bolts for the magneride cars

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
The magneride cars have the same hub/knuckle as the GT350 as noted above. I also did the same as @o-man, but went with the ARP studs from Summit ARP-100-7733, FP lug nuts FMS-M-1012-N and a cheap spacer made from something like this off ebay http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338634152&icep_item=191156083019
You spend $35, pound out the studs and have a hubcentric lightweight spacer. Surprised more don't do the same, but I have a shoestring racing budget, so I re-engineer all I can.

I think the non Mag cars have 3 bolts holding the hub to the knuckle so you can therefore rotate the hub to knock out a stud without removing the hub itself. With the GT350/MR hubs, this isn't an option. They must be removed to get the stud out. Don't forget a little blue locite when reinstalling and if memory serves me, one bolt is impossible to torque... you'll have make your best guess on that one.

In the V6L
...I think the non Mag cars have 3 bolts holding the hub to the knuckle so you can therefore rotate the hub to knock out a stud without removing the hub itself. With the GT350/MR hubs, this isn't an option. They must be removed to get the stud out. Don't forget a little blue locite when reinstalling and if memory serves me, one bolt is impossible to torque... you'll have make your best guess on that one.
The non-Mag GT's have the same style front hub as the S197 - a center post with a big nut to hold the bearing on - and so they probably have room to knock the studs out and get them reinstalled. Looking at the cast iron GT Mag knuckle in the picture, I'm surprised that there isn't room to knock the studs out on it. The GT350 aluminum knuckle is shrouded so it's not possible, but the cast iron one looks like it might work. As for torqueing the hub mounting bolts, with the right wrench, they're all do-able. I have a special torque wrench that makes it easy, but an 18mm crows foot socket works too.

TMO Supporting Vendors