The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Extended Studs or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would not run 19” wheel on track though. They are too heavy and 315 or 305 tires way to expensive. Use 18 by 11 apex wheel. IMHO I have ran these for few years and they are perfect. They clear big brake kits and are substantially lighter then 19

Nice if you need tires I have 19” super sport Michelin brand new on track pac wheels. Can have them super cheap I’m moving. Also have nitto nto1 that have a couple track days on them can have them for free those are 18” 315’s though.

A word about wheels, yes the 18s are by far they way to go, for one reason, most road race series run 18s and there are plenty of take offs available in 18 inch.
With regards to the wheels themselves, keep in mind that wheel A might be half the cost of wheel B, so if wheel B lasted twice as long as wheel A, their value would be the same. A lot of that depends on the weight of the car, how aggressive you are and how many "elephant turds" you run over at the track in the corners. You might get great performance and longevity by running the less expensive wheel, whereas , if you are banging fenders in wheel to wheel racing, wheel B would be the better option. in either case, you need to inspect those wheels EVERY time you go on track, because like everything else, wheels are just another consumable.

ZVpDtnV.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Thanks for all the feedback so far! Next question: I looked up what size tires fit on 19x11s and think my 274/35-19s on my current track wheels are the smallest tire that can fit on 19x11s. Is there a risk to putting my RS-4s on those wheels and putting all seasons the 9.5s to get full use out of the RS-4s before getting new track tires?
I may be in the minority on this, but I wouldn't have a problem running your RS4's on an 11" wide wheel. It is within the tire manufacturers recommended range for the 275-35-19. I would rather run them on an 11" wide wheel than at the narrower end of the range of recommended rims. You will find that when you run them on a wider rim it will spread the tread out a bit better and stabilize the side wall more leading to quicker turn in.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I was considering apex or SVE so I appreciate your input! I have camber bolts right now ... will those still work as a stop gap solution for camber or do I need the plates?
Mmmm depends. Camber bolts will move the top, inner portion of the wheel closer to the strut body. You might run into clearance issues with camber bolts and 11" wheels. Worst case scenario, you simply won't get much camber out of the bolts. Just put quality camber plates on your future wish list.

As for 18" vs 19" wheels....yes 18s are lighter (not by much, 18" Apex are 22.85 lbs while 19" are 24.5 lbs) and tires are cheaper (and most slicks only come in 18") but the tire selections are different. 18" wheels have a greater selection of racing tires while there is a much larger selection of 19" street tires in a 305.
Before you buy wheels, spend some time researching which tire you want to use. When I went through this, many of the aggressive street tires I wanted weren't available in a 305/18. Hence why I went 19"

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Concerning Pumpkin's last tire comment, he is quite correct there are not many aggressive street tires in an 305/18, but then most would not run that size, imho. An 18x11 rim , with spacers up front and using aggressive black air filled rubber donuts, solid choices would be;

BFG Rival S 1.5 315/30/18
Falken RT 660 315/30/18
Yokohama A052 315/30/18

Bingo, you have the rims for the hottest 200 TWR tires on the market, you could use 18 inch race rubber ( used ) like Blacksheep 1 suggested, and you will have a lighter weight rim.

No offense to anyone, but I think this might give you more options.

PS - Blacksheep 1's favorite tire ( Hoosier R7 or A7s ) also comes in a 315/30/18.

Last edited:
Concerning Pumpkin's last tire comment, he is quite correct there are not many aggressive street tires in an 305/18, but then most would not run that size, imho. An 18x11 rim , with spacers up front and using aggressive black air filled rubber donuts, solid choices would be;

BFG Rival S 1.5 315/30/18
Falken RT 660 315/30/18
Yokohama A052 315/30/18

Bingo, you have the rims for the hottest 200 TWR tires on the market, you could use 18 inch race rubber ( used ) like Blacksheep 1 suggested, and you will have a lighter weight rim.

No offense to anyone, but I think this might give you more options.

PS - Blacksheep 1's favorite tire ( Hoosier R7 or A7s ) also comes in a 315/30/18.
315/30-18s will fit on 18x11s? I didn’t account for those tires since the chart I saw from tire rack said 305s were the biggest for 18x11s.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I have run 315/30/18 Hoosier R7s and 315/30/18 BFG gforce R1Ss ( no longer being made ) and if you check the tires I listed they will show a rim range and 11s are right in that wheelhouse ---- sounds like a good term for a Navy guy, ha!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel