The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Extended studs & spacers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
I have a set of wheels on my '16 that are 20x9.5 w/ +45 offset and I'm hoping to switch to a square tire setup but I don't know how I can do it other than with spacers or small width tires..

Do I buy the +25mm bolt on spacers and use the studs on the spacers or the 20mm slip-ons?

Can anyone break this down for me?

R/S
M.Wolvee3amigos.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps. But...

I run extended studs and spacers on my 2012 just to help my wheels clear my front calipers and spacers on the rear simply for a wider track. They are the slip ons. I run 1/2" on the front and 1/4" on the rear with no issues.

If you're using the ARP long studs you'll use slip on spacers. The bolt on spacers with their own studs are not recommended especially if you're tracking your car. What size wheels are you going to buy? Check some of the @APEXRaceParts threads as they can provide some guidance on what spacers are needed for different wheel setups.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
If you have already purchased extended wheel studs, I would recommend installing those and then getting some of the slip on spacers that you mentioned, around 12mm in thickness would be optimal.

What size tire are you running? All of our 9.5" wide Mustang wheels have an offset of +35mm, but you could run a slight bit wider if you feel like it. Using a 10mm spacer would put your wheels at an effective offset of +35mm, and a 12mm spacer to +33mm. Both of these will sit flush with the wheel wells in the front and rear.

- Cory

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel