The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Extended Warranty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Has anyone gone for the extended warranty? If so, what did you oay for it?

I got a note in the mail about upgrading the warranty and with less than a year to the 3 year limit, I am thinks ng about it.....

John

I went through Lombard Ford.

Pretty sure I got the link from an old thread on BMO, but if you google Lombard ford warranty, it should be the first result.

Paid about $800 for official Ford ESP coverage through 2018. They have several tiers and options depending on what you want covered and for how long, milage, etc.

I think they had some kind of coupon or discount at the time as well, so you may want to google that too.

Totally worth it for me, even if it ends up just being for piece of mind for the next four years.

DEye

You can't get there from here...
That is 100% correct, I had several exchanges with different people at Ford and found it ridiculous that they would cover Key activation during the standard warrantee period but Not for the ESP !

93cobra said:
I think that boss 302 with activated track key is ineligible for ford esp

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
OK, looks like I get to save some money on this that option!

It makes. Sense since you trackey guys beat on your car more often than the mild driving silver key guys. That must mean that the trackey enabled cars will have some problem around 36,000 miles. Anyone have over 36,000 miles? If so, is it still running?

John

93cobra said:
I think that boss 302 with activated track key is ineligible for ford esp
Not true. I bought esp with the car and verified before activating track key that it would still be active. And yes I also asked several people. Track key warranty only overrides if the track key is found to be the fault of the repair.

Fiddler 49 is correct! I purchased on 8-25-14 a 84 month/60,000 ESP PremiumCare warranty from Ford ESP direct. I asked the question concerning the track key program. My Ford ESP representative called his supervisor and both confirmed that the track key program is covered, only the key itself is not covered.

25dc said:
Fiddler 49 is correct! I purchased on 8-25-14 a 84 month/60,000 ESP PremiumCare warranty from Ford ESP direct. I asked the question concerning the track key program. My Ford ESP representative called his supervisor and both confirmed that the track key program is covered, only the key itself is not covered.

Correctomundo! Same conclusion here. I have Ford ESP coverage for 84 months/75k miles and they knew I had the TK activated.

MA
79bcce0108b4902c72be362ee06db9eb.jpg

Hope you guys don't have any issues

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
I had a feeling that this would come up.. Main reason I did not activate the Track Key on my car. Just to be clear.. I don't track my car - prob never will - reason why I did not activate the feature.. plus all the uncertainty regarding track-key and warranty since this car came out.

Also - having a 2012 how come I have not received any offers about an extended warranty? :( Has any 2012 owners without track key received anything? If so please post. Thanks!

Hi 93cobra! I called Ford ESP again yesterday and they stated to me for the second time that the Boss 302 is NOT on the ineligible vehicle list with activated track key. They did say at one time it was on the list but was removed. I read my ESP Premium Care contract and the Boss 302 is not listed on the ineligible list of Ford vehicles.
Thanks!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
What I find interesting is than no one has posted a complaint where Ford disallowed a claim because of Tracy Key.

Odd are that someone has had the extended warranty, had something (Big) break and filed a claim.

If so, a rejected claim would be all over the net.

Think so??

TMSBOSS said:
What I find interesting is than no one has posted a complaint where Ford disallowed a claim because of Tracy Key.

Odd are that someone has had the extended warranty, had something (Big) break and filed a claim.

If so, a rejected claim would be all over the net.

Think so??
I have not seen or heard of a single failure related to TK. If someone has please post a link. Our cars are covered under a 60 month or 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. I think it would be very hard for Ford to not honor the warranty with TK installed. FWIW TK has a 36 month warranty and for many of us that installed TK when it became available that period is about to expire.

This is the topic that keeps on keepin on...lol. search the keywords "trackey" and "warranty" and there are debates and threads O' plenty going back over two years and no one really knows the answer.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
After trying for 3 months to get Ford to acknowledge and fix the clutch pedal not coming back up during hard driving, I gave up and fixed it myself. It seems silly to pay for extra extended coverage when they won't cover a well-known problem under the standard warranty. Oh, and one of the 3 service reps I dealt with over the 3 months told me they had a "software fix" in the works for the clutch issues. What??????

This went all the way to a regional service manager and he basically said that even though they advertise the Boss as a "track ready" vehicle, they won't touch any problem that might be a result of spirited driving.

Here is the basic mind numbing illogical argument that I got from both the local dealer and Ford service" The clutch issue only arises during extended hard driving. The dealer is prohibited from driving the car at those levels, therefore they cannot replicate the failure. If they can't replicate it, it must not exist........

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
SeattleBoss said:
Here is the basic mind numbing illogical argument that I got from both the local dealer and Ford service" The clutch issue only arises during extended hard driving. The dealer is prohibited from driving the car at those levels, therefore they cannot replicate the failure. If they can't replicate it, it must not exist........

I had a similar response when I was having problems with my car because it was only happening at WOT around 7000 rpm the service rep says "well I'm sure my tech would love to try and replicate that, but we can't let him" they did spend alot of time looking for a problem tho and didn't charge me a dime for about 20 hours of shop time.

I have had experience with Ford Racing and "Warranty Issues" and no matter what it has seemed to be, they fight tooth and nail to "Not have to fix it".. with saying things like "Its Normal" or "The Car is functioning correct with TrackKey Installed"... etc... All of which I have had my dealer document and print out for me... Even the Whole "Tire Sensor" problem (which was not a warranty issues since the sensors were removed without my knowledge), but they actually blammed it all on "Cell Phones, Frequencies, iPods, and Radar Detectors and even driving by Security systems in stores or cell towers" instead of just saying "Its under warranty, we will take care of it".

In fact of the 4 things I have actually took my BOSS in for which I figured was covered under the Bumper to Bumper Warranty, 0 things have been "Fixed" (granted the tire issue was a non-issue once we figured out what was wrong).

I am now talking to them about the TSB for the 1-2 shift... and the dealer "claims" Ford Racing won't have an issue with that... but I have my doubts... I have been more than frustrated that I buy a speciality vehicle from a company and have to fight and scratch and claw with Ford about warranty issues (Dealer is totally fine with fixing everything, but needs Fords Approval or they get back-charged).

Maybe it just my bad experience, but I would be wary of Ford saying "Its covered under Extended Warranty and then months later saying "Nevermind we are going to cover it".

TMO Supporting Vendors