The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Extraordinary Brake Compounds - testing the EBC Full Race Sintered SR21 and SR11 Pads!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Sydney
Stainless has a lower thermal conductivity than titanium - not by a huge margin, but it's there. I expect that the main reason that stainless is not used for brake pad heat shields is that it's springy and it really doesn't enjoy being flat. On the other hand, if titanium is flat, it's really flat and it stays flat. When it's flat, it can't contribute to pad knockback. Stainless, being springy, can warp, and if it does, it will push the pistons back a bit when the brake pedal is released and that'll soften up the brake pedal. So, titanium wins.
Now that's a good answer! Now I won't go astray.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
I contacted EBC about buying the SR11 pads for my car and they said they are not yet planned to go into production for the performance pack cars. So it’s odd they produced a set for a review but we won’t be able to buy them.

EBC Brakes

Supporting Vendor
We had made the part for Bill as a test set, and with extra interest are looking to go forward with mass production. I am trying to find an ETA from the Racing Dept, in the meantime please LIKE this post if you are interested in the SR pads for the s550 fitment - DP83040 so I can get an idea of popularity.

I have copied below some useful links that compare the pad materials across our range and with competitors, and one that has details on SR itself.

EBC Ratings of Race Pads - https://ebcbrakes.com/race-motorsport-articles/best-racing-brakes/

SR Compound - https://ebcbrakes.com/products/ebc-sintered-sr-series/

Comparison vs competitors - https://ebcbrakes.com/race-motorsport-articles/choosing-best-racing-brake-pads-for-vehicle/

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I have fronts and backs and as noted the initial grip is insane, but after a session or two it eases up some. I have gotten used to them especially since I have not noticed them squeaking on the street. I do caution that the initial bite takes a bit to get used to , but since I am braking quite late, have not had any real issues, the rotors still look good, I will hopefully get another set when I finally need them. The SR21 was even touchier, so I will probably stick with 11s and hopefully they will be out in 23. I am also considering using the RB1s since I believe they are out now and they are not supposed to be quite as strong in their initial bite.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I have fronts and backs and as noted the initial grip is insane, but after a session or two it eases up some. I have gotten used to them especially since I have not noticed them squeaking on the street. I do caution that the initial bite takes a bit to get used to , but since I am braking quite late, have not had any real issues, the rotors still look good, I will hopefully get another set when I finally need them. The SR21 was even touchier, so I will probably stick with 11s and hopefully they will be out in 23. I am also considering using the RB1s since I believe they are out now and they are not supposed to be quite as strong in their initial bite.
I am running 200tw tires and typically run the G Loc R16 up front. In your opinion will the SR11 out brake the tires?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Since they are not available at present why not try the RB1s. Frankly, the current 200 TWR tires are stickier than some DOT Comp tires within the last decade.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I initially was looking at the RP compounds. I was thinking RP1 rear and RPX front. The EBC rep said if I was running G Loc R16 front that the SR11 would be their closest compound, which is in stock for the S197 4 piston Brembo's. He didn't realize I am running S550 6 piston calipers on my S197 and the SR compounds were not currently in production for these calipers. I am not in a hurry since my car is in the body shop and my next planned track event is NCM in late March. I am trying to decide if I should wait until they go into production or try the RPX compound.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Interesting , as I was given info from a Rep ( not on the site ) I called and he said the RP series was more like an 18 from G-Loc. I would check again, but I do think those pads have some merit and I was going to try them next as I was told their initial bite was less.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
I have fronts and backs and as noted the initial grip is insane, but after a session or two it eases up some. I have gotten used to them....I am also considering using the RB1s since I believe they are out now and they are not supposed to be quite as strong in their initial bite.

Sometimes it can be tough to use a pad with a big initial bite. It's not like you don't want the friction, but if the chassis can't respond fast enough to accept the hit (and our tanks don't respond all that fast), then it can upset the brake zone and make it difficult to be confident with the pedal. Finding that 'Goldilocks' pad can take a while.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I understand completely and I have almost always gone with a pad that had a linear feel , but testing the SR21s and SR11s, their bite is intense and I was not sold on the aggressiveness at first. I probably would tell newcomers not to start with them, and frankly one or two sessions need to be done to get a bit of a comfort zone with more experienced drivers, but after that I got a ton of confidence from them. I had no fade, the pedal stayed hard and I felt like I could stop yesterday. I changed my braking style to accommodate and that is something I think is good for all who track --- changing something they are used to to see if there is something that works better. They did not overwhelm the Mach 1, but as I noted I also have considered going with the RP1 or RPX to see how those EBC racing pads feel? After running a zillion different pads over the years I would say these rank quite high, and the reason I am considering the RP pads is to see if there is just a little less bite and maybe it would be a bit more progressive. Surprisingly, no noise on the street, and the pads are not quite as intense initially now with some wear, and that caused my son and I to check them to see if they were low on pad surface. They were not, and I really like the feel now, so that was what prompted me to think about the RPs when these wear out. So far the rotors look great so overall it is pretty hard to fault these pads.

The initial bite is rather shocking, one session and they feel much better, but I would caution folks to keep this in mind on their first runs. No bedding needed and I love that.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Interesting , as I was given info from a Rep ( not on the site ) I called and he said the RP series was more like an 18 from G-Loc. I would check again, but I do think those pads have some merit and I was going to try them next as I was told their initial bite was less.
That is interesting. The chart that EBC linked shows the RP1 equivalent to the Carbotech XP10 and the RPX to the XP12, which are equivalent to the G Loc R10 and R12 respectively. The SR11 shows the Carbotech XP 20 as the equivalent, which cross over the R16. I need to do a bit more research before ordering. You were the guinea pig for the SR compounds I may as well serve as the guinea pig for the RP compounds. I am just not sure which one to start with yet.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dummy , here, I did not view the chart I just chatted with a guy at a company that was selling them and I am trying to remember where. Well acquainted with Carbotech and G-Loc since family members have the two companies, and so far I can see the SR11 being similar to the higher coefficient pads from Carbotech and G-Loc , but honestly they seem to take the heat better for me. I went with 24s or 18s because I got the pads too hot during some races and I have been impressed with what heat the SR21 and 11s have taken. Looking at the durability I might try the RP series just because I am used to a little less bite, though as I mentioned I got used to it and started to really like it since it was confidence inspiring. All are good pads and I look forward to hearing from you as Guinea Pig number two, haha.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I have been pouring over what data is available and the friction coefficients are pretty close between the SR11 and the RPX. The SR11 is supposed to wear better, break in faster and handle heat better. I am guessing that the RPX may have better modulation. The RP1 looks to have a lower friction coefficient than the Blue Stuffs. I am not sure how they put together their comparison chart. It shows Blue Stuffs equivalent to XP8 and RP1 to XP10. Maybe it is based off of heat ranges and not bite?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
Also, keep in mind that when you group pads among different manufacturers, it's a real loose category. Each will have their own particular strengths, weaknesses and feel. It's never really apples to apples.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Middleboro, MA
What a great thread ! Thanks Bill for all the details and insights. I am the owner of a new 2022 Mach 1, took delivery Thanksgiving week 2022.

I run at Watkins Glen 6 track days a year. Have been running a 2015 C7 Corvette since 2020 season. That car is (well was since I sold it) around 600 pounds lighter than the new Mach 1 !!

I am very interested in getting these SR11, or maybe even the SR21 for the 2023 track season. It took me 2 years before I broke down and spent a fortune on Ferodo DS3.12's for the Corvette. Very expensive pad, but very capable stopping from 130 to 145 mph at WGI. From what I am reading here, seems like the EBC SR11/21's have to be considered as an alternative to the Ferodo DS3.12's

I am curious Bill, does your Mach 1 still have the cast iron single piston factory caliper/rotor assemblies on the rear axle, and what pads were you running back there when you were testing the SR11's and SR21's on track ? I apologize in advance if you addressed this and I missed it.

Chris

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Just for the sake of testing, I have left all the stock rotors on, front and back, even though I am a huge fan of GiroDiscs, having used them on my prior Mustangs and in my prior profession, using them frequently on customer's Vipers. So stock rotors, good wear and since they are full sets , SR11s or SR21a all the way around. This is not my normal set up, but since I was assessing them this was what I did. I am seriously interested to see how someone does on the RP1s and RPXs, since there aren't in SR11s/SR21s out yet.

Since they are sintered pads I honestly expected them to be very hard on the rotors, and they have not been. I also expected them to be dirty as heck, and surprisingly they are lower on dust than what I have been using. Lastly, the one caveat I mentioned is the initial bite is throw you threw the windshield and onto the hood --- mega intense. It gets better after the first session, and lessens as they wear, but it did take some readjustment to my braking style. Funny, but that was what I enjoyed , because I am an old duck who thinks change and doing things differently helps one get better, since whether a new driver or an old one, or even a Professional, we all get tied into habits and sometimes breaking those or adapting them, helps us get faster. For me it was an adaption and I now find I like the stronger bite than I had avoided in the past, primarily from using Hawks while racing Spec Miata and hating their lack of linear feel in my estimation.

Send a PM to the EBC Site Sponsor site saying you are interested as that seems to be the impetus to get them to get a run done, and as noted I think there are some guys who will be using the RP1s/RPXs so there may be responses on those coming soon.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel