The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

F1 Cockpit Halo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So what to you think of this? Looks kinda goofy to me but if it makes the driver safer I guess it's fine. I think I'd rather see them enclose the cockpit completely. What do you think?

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/ferrari-unveils-prototype-halo-formula-one-cars?utm_source=RacingDaily20160303&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=image-top&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awracingdaily

SNE16293.jpg

sne16273.jpg

sne16287.jpg

I have my doubts about the center support and it creating a blind spot in the center of the field of view.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
More fugliness for F1 cars. The front wings are already ludicrous looking. Racing is inherently a dangerous undertaking but at this rate lets just make it all virtual and no one gets hurt. I don't want to see drivers get hurt or killed but some element of danger has always been an integral part of the sport. Why don't we decree that all cars sold in America be built like NASCAR cas? Full cages, 6 point harnesses, helmets and HANS? Thousands of lives would be saved.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
F1 is in trouble if this is the “best” solution they can provide.

I forget...who sponsored the halo or “enhanced driver/cockpit” protection initiative? I don’t recall the drivers insisting on it.

Old man’s (unsolicited) perspective: Massa’s accident was a freak...high prob that halo or semi-screen would not have prevented it. Losing Bianchi and Wheldon and Justin (Wilson) was tragic... but they signed the contracts (and waivers) and accepted the risks.

For the past 30 years, Motogp/F1 bike racing has been the most obscenely dangerous way to get around a track. It’s world-wide following is massive because it’s all about how the riders accept and manage massive personal risk w/o pillows or parachutes or airbags or fuzzy stuffed unicorns. That’s the core of the sport.

Liberty Media... are you listening?

TMO Supporting Vendors