The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

F14 vs apex

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

Im in between those 2 wheels.. i think the best option for an autcross/ curcuit setup without major suspe sion modifications would be 18×10s ...

So please guide me guys with difference in weight and fitment.

Ive seen ppl use the f14s ... but they r using difference bolts and maybe studs too .. how about the apex ?

And about the difference to brake clearance ?

Offsets ? Do they stick out or not ??

If any1 got the apex on his car ... show me and tell ur opinion if u dont mind...

Many thanks guys

Apex all the way. No centering rings and lots of room for the lug nuts. They are working on a 18x10.5" wheel too.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Would agree very much with 10.5 or 11 inch wide. 18x10 is a little narrow for a good 305 fit. Must admit for the money 18x10 sve drifts in 18x10 with a +35mm offset are a very cheap option.

How about if i go for 10.5 or 11 ?? What modifications is needed to be done ?

The biggest deciding factor is the tire size. What tire sizes were you planning to run?

I have 18x10 F14s and they've been very durable so far. I've went off-track into the gravel pit, and they've held up pretty well. I think with both apex and F14, you may need smaller aftermarket lugnuts.

To accommodate 10.5" wheels, You may need spacers or minor suspension modifications (e.g. grinding endlink studs) depending on wheel offset. For 11" wide wheels, you'll definitely need some modifications (e.g. coilovers, grinding endlink studs).

Also, keep in mind if you do use spacers, you may need extended studs (usually recommended for +5mm spacers). But with your needs, I'd personally stick with 18x10. I got my F14s from American Muscle with their recommended offset.

I've been very happy with the Apex set I have. I suggest calling and talking to the sales department. Very helpful. And special lug nuts/ spacers are not required. Tire size is your ultimate decider.

576 said:
I've been very happy with the Apex set I have. I suggest calling and talking to the sales department. Very helpful. And special lug nuts/ spacers are not required. Tire size is your ultimate decider.

Hows the fitment ? Do they stick out or not ?

Do u have any pix ?

F.D. Sako said:
The biggest deciding factor is the tire size. What tire sizes were you planning to run?

I have 18x10 F14s and they've been very durable so far. I've went off-track into the gravel pit, and they've held up pretty well. I think with both apex and F14, you may need smaller aftermarket lugnuts.

To accommodate 10.5" wheels, You may need spacers or minor suspension modifications (e.g. grinding endlink studs) depending on wheel offset. For 11" wide wheels, you'll definitely need some modifications (e.g. coilovers, grinding endlink studs).

Also, keep in mind if you do use spacers, you may need extended studs (usually recommended for +5mm spacers). But with your needs, I'd personally stick with 18x10. I got my F14s from American Muscle with their recommended offset.

By endlink studs .. you mean the studs which holds the endlink or the front swaybar right ?? How about rear ?

And what coilover options have been made for 11" wheels ??

The widest ive read in forums that ppl put for their mustangs is 11"... is that the widest ?? Is it more than enough for this car ?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
He means the stud where the sway bar end link attaches to the strut, as this bolt/stud is sometimes longer than the strut body and will be right next to the tire in most cases. The one at the swaybar side faces inward and poses no issue.

Cortex has some offset front struts made to help clear wide wheels, but with the right offsets Vorshlag has gotten 11" wheels under the stock sheetmetal on all four corners while using non-offset ("standard") front struts; this could also be done with spacers (assuming you run ARP wheel studs) to get an 11" wheel set that is rotatable.

IMO, for most people just having fun at the track a 10" wide wheel will be more than sufficient; if you plan to run Time Trial or any other competitive event, I would consider 10.5 or 11" wide.

I use 18 x 10 with nt-01 275/ 40/ 18 square. Yeah, yeah I know. It's such a small tire. It's not the size, it's what you do with it ;) I do have aftermarket front sway bar end links. I think the stock front sway bar end link studs would be quite close. Everything else fits good with lots of clearance. Again your decision is really based upon what tires you want to run.

I have F14, 19x9.5 front and 19x11 rear. I have no spacers but I did have to use smaller lug nuts. The stock lug nuts would work with a thin wall socket. talk to Paul at Howey Industries for backspacing, I've slept since I bought mine.

Here I found this.....

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=9826.msg142627#msg142627

so is apex definitely doing some 10.5s ??

And do the 18x10 apex stick out ? do they work with no change in all stock parts ?? I still didn't understand if it does or not ..

and how about the forgestar cf5 ... they look amazing.. what do I need to do with them and how is their fitment ... ?

I think im between 10 and 10.5 inch wide ,,, but not looking to do spacers and I don't want my wheels to stick out.

I have run 18x10 +42 F14 on all 4 corners with no problems. You could order CF in the same offset and be in good shape.

You could also order the CF5 in a 10.5 with a slightly different offset about a +45 and be fine. You'll probably still want a small spacer up front for the 10.5" (5mm hub centric)

CF5 will clear the 6 piston Brembos, are 1 lb. heavier than the F14.

Apex is a great wheel too. If it came in the width/offset I was looking for I probably would have ended up with a set.

You can get mustang specific 18x10 F14's from American Muscle to ensure they fit without any modifications.
I believe APEX on their website has a mustang specific offset as well that you can purchase.

If I were you, id go for 18x10 and not waste time/money on 10.5... unless you have plans to go with 315 tires in the future, which then you will have to modify some stuff up front.
As mentioned before, decide on your tires first, see what's available around you.

F.D. Sako said:
You can get mustang specific 18x10 F14's from American Muscle to ensure they fit without any modifications.
I believe APEX on their website has a mustang specific offset as well that you can purchase.

If I were you, id go for 18x10 and not waste time/money on 10.5... unless you have plans to go with 315 tires in the future, which then you will have to modify some stuff up front.
As mentioned before, decide on your tires first, see what's available around you.

FYI on the F14 from American Muscle (where I got mine a couple of years ago)

Their site will tell you the F14 18x10 +42 is for rear only. It fits in the front, no spacers required. I ordered 4 of those "rear only" fitment from American Muscle and had zero problems with fit.

I also second F.D. Sako, if you aren't going to run really wide tires (requiring real modifications to suspension) I would stick with 18x10 as well. A 275 or 285 square set-up on the 18x10 rims is killer for the street and can be good on the track too.

brake clearance for future modifications both would handle big brakes ??

The thing I want to know is the more width the better handling the car gets ? cuz I think to put 11 inch wheels front would be an overkill wont it ?

I would like to know more about this.. what the most beneficial front and rear wheels and tire width without going for looks. is there a limit that the car would be best at ? or the wider the better ?

and to know more about mustangs .. is the 11 inch widest setup that has been put on the car or is there any wider wheels too ?

cuz widest I have seen is 11 f14s .. I didn't c anything other than this or wider.

this mustang capability of modification is just so amazing !!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel