The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

F14's scratched at tire shop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
I'm screwed! Picked up wheels today at my tire guy when I got home everyone
was scratched all the way around!! Each one worse and worse...Wow wow!! Ever happen to you guys? Anything I can do or am I f&@$ed!

Take the wheels back to the shop and talk with the store manager. This happened to me several years ago when the shop's tire changing equipment gouged 3 out of 4 aluminum. The gouges had to be filled with weld metal and the wheels repainted. The tire shop paid for the wheel repairs.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
I'll call the shop tomoro,thanks. i can see one, everyone makes a mistake but all four...Dam! Never had this happen before and I've been changing tires back and forth on my wheels experimenting...lol. To be clear Cherno134, were your wheels gouged on the face or on the inside( under the tire) of the wheel? Thanks Rob

My wheels were gouged on the outside face for the whole world to see. The shoe on the tire mounting machine arm that rolls the bead of the tire over the rim broke and the arm recoiled and gouged the wheels about 1/8" deep and about 1 1/2 long in the worst case.

The manager had a similar comment to the tech as yours......."After gouging the first wheel, why on earth do you do it a second and third time?????? What were you thinking?????"

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Ouch! That sucked. Mine aren't on the face like yours it's all on the inside. I had these wheels for sale and now it kinda ruined my plans. We'll see tomoro? Thanks man for your time. Rob

Cobrarob said:
I'm screwed!
Bummer. I'd be having a talk with someone at that shop and it wouldn't be pleasant. Good luck!

TMO Supporting Vendors