The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
mprichar87 said:
Finally got the car up on ramps, found the coolant leak, ordered a new radiator (gotta love Amazon Prime). Unfortunately the event is sold out...snooze you lose! Have fun, think I may end up at Buttonwillow that weekend instead.
I generally wait till the last minute too, then if I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it I commit...then I HAVE to get ready. LOL.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
mprichar87 said:
Haha yeah, that's not a bad way to do it. Live and learn, not like I'm aching for track time ;D
I'm surprised you took today off...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
byronj said:
OK if it works you you'll need to help out getting the set back over to me. But as of now I am in no rush since my track days aren't scheduled yet.

I sent a text to the number on the card.
Tires just landed...THANK YOU!

Man these things are clean....mine melted the center caps off within the first few track days.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
mprichar87 said:
I try to show up at work every once in a while :eek:
I have the same problem in reverse. I've been here for 12 days straight.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Move along....nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Time to ditch the phony plastic hood scoop in favor of some functional hood louvers.
I looked at the Tiger racing hoods, which are awesome no doubt, but the carbon fiber one is quite pricey and the fiberglass one still being a fair chunk of change.
Add to that the price of freight (ships via truck) plus paint and it was just more than I was willing to spend on a hood.
So I visited www.trackspecmotorsports.com and picked up these spiffy hood louvers for about $350.00.
Installation was straight forward with finishing the pizza with Kevin being the hardest part of the project.
The parts came well packaged and are of high quality. Fit and finish were very nice and a semi gloss black power coat tops it off. Instructions were complete with templates and measurements making this install a real "Why didn't I do this sooner" kind of moment. I'm pretty excited about it and wanted to share this alternative with my fellow TMOers who may be in a similar situation. And with that, here are the pics:

16683885_10154988639843535_4975627372536018539_n.jpg

16807163_10155009286373535_8925562524517021027_n.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
VoodooBOSS said:
Looking good. Just don't let Kevin drink all of your beer.
Kevin doesn't drink, but he sure likes BBQ and pizza. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
VoodooBOSS said:
Looking good. Just don't let Kevin drink all of your beer.
Kevin is like a dog with a cheese wrapper. As soon as he hears any cutting he's here like lightning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Install looks great.

How did you decide upon placement and do you think the louvers start forward enough?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
DocB said:
Install looks great.

How did you decide upon placement and do you think the louvers start forward enough?
I contacted the manufacturer and asked if I had any leeway in mounting as I wanted to move it back to cover some of the holes left in the hood from the scoop that was on there. He said that the sweet spot was from 17" behind the hoods leading edge to within 12" of the windshield. I only moved the placement back 3 1/2" so I am well within that envelope.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last edited:

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Nice, these should reduce under hood temps and allow for a better flow of cooling air through the radiator. It will be interesting to read your comments after your next track day session.

302 Hi Pro

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
ArizonaBOSS said:
Those are quite affordable and quite badass.
Carbon fiber hood w/shipping - $2000
Custom Paint w/stripes - $1000.00
Getting similar results for 350 bucks....Priceless!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Good stuff. Wish they were a direct fit for the '10-'12 hood. :(

And IIRC, that type of louver works a bit better if it has a wicker bill at its leading edge. Not unlike the raised front/perimeter area on the Tiger Racing design.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel