The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Got A.J. Hartman on speed dial....lol.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Dash back in one piece....now lets move forward, shall we?

18425120_10155288201978535_5211464930942699918_n.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Not much has been happening in my camp.
Track Spec is re refining the right rear flare and I have a couple other issues to address.
My fueling situation hasn't improved and Lethal Performance is absolutely no help.
So, I am going to throw a several thousand dollar pump setup in the trash and order a fuel cell and external pump. That should be fun.

First I'll have to relocate the water tank for the intercooler since the the cell will be using that space in the trunk, so I have to go to a front mounted tank/pump setup which causes me to re locate/build a custom power steering tank too. The new splitter I just made is already obsolete since the 12's stick out farther than the 10's did and now I'll have to make another new wider one. Seems like it's 3 steps forward, 2 steps back.

On the upside, the car has had a bunch of upgrades and should be significantly faster for my efforts. At least that's what we tell ourselves, right?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I am on e85 and this motor uses a ton of fuel. Its a return style system.
Problem is it runs out of fuel in 4 laps. Doesn't pull from the other side of the saddle tank. Works just fine going straight....but as soon as you start turning left it's all over.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
As soon as you turn left all the fuel goes over the hump and it falls on its face.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Oh ok. Fuel cell it is!
I thought maybe the line in the tank was kinked so I called ford to order a new one. unfortunately you have to buy a whole new tank to get the line, so fawk it.
I'm going to something simple that I know how to work on.

Can you find a used tank to try?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Talked to these guys last week and they said that's a common problem with these pumps/tanks when you start making a bunch of power. He said back east tons of guys run blowers on e85 on road courses so this is pretty common setup back there.
Unfortunately, its very high end stuff. Gonna be another few grand. :mad:

http://www.weldonracing.com/

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I told the pump guy I had an unusual setup.
I make 700 rwhp on e85 in a road course mustang and he said "That's nothing"....lol.
Gotta love those boys back east.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
hmmm..... I was trying to figure out why I loss power on one steeply uphill right hand turn.... maybe its some thing related... though its right instead o left....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Check those guy too I've been looking at their fuel cell but too much $$ for now
http://www.radiumauto.com/FCST-complete-with-Fuel-Cell-P893.aspx

I also got fuel delivery issue. Only on one left hand turn going up a hill. As soon as I pass 6000rpm my fuel pressure drop to 30 psi and below.
I've been looking at installing a surge tank to take care of the problem.
http://www.radiumauto.com/FST-R-Fuel-Surge-Tank-with-Integrated-FPR-P348.aspx

Mine flat doesn't pump from the other saddle. I filled the tank and pumped a little over 6 gallons out of the tank through the fuel rail and it ran out of fuel sitting in the shop. The other side of the tank was still full. I pulled the fuel pump and sending unit from the other saddle and verified. One side empty, other side still full. I ran the pump and put my finger over the suction line for the saddle tank, zero suction. I pulled the pump and the line siphoned fuel from the other saddle on its own via gravity. This thing just doesn't work. I have been trying to get answers from the lethal tech line and no one knows how this pump even works. They said the only one who knows anything is Jared, the owner and he refuses to answer any questions. What kind of product support is that? I spent thousands of dollars on a system he designed that isn't working and he can't pick up a phone and talk to me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
hmmm..... I was trying to figure out why I loss power on one steeply uphill right hand turn.... maybe its some thing related... though its right instead o left....
is there a left turn before the right?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes, there is a very sharp left turn, but I have power for 70 m or so till I start turning right, then it goes away. We usually run this course in the other way, downhill, I have zero problems. But running uphill always gets me on this one curve.

That sucks about Lethal.

Can you take the fuel hat apart? Maybe something plugged the venturi unit?
When you did your test, did your fuel pressure regulator allowed for some fuel to return to the tank?
You can test it with air with the fuel pump out of the tank. Blow some air into the return line inlet and you should feel a vacuum where you connect the in tank cross over hose.

Here's a picture on how a venturi work. Pretty simple system with no moving parts.

liquid_eductor_new.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That sucks about Lethal.

Can you take the fuel hat apart? Maybe something plugged the venturi unit?
When you did your test, did your fuel pressure regulator allowed for some fuel to return to the tank?
You can test it with air with the fuel pump out of the tank. Blow some air into the return line inlet and you should feel a vacuum where you connect the in tank cross over hose.

Here's a picture on how a venturi work. Pretty simple system with no moving parts.

liquid_eductor_new.png
My setup includes no venturi (also known as an eductor or jet pump) I asked lethal about it and they couldnt tell me if I had one, needed one or if one even came in the kit. They told me to send the hat back and they would go through it and turn it around in 24 hours. Weeks later and after several phone calls they suddenly mailed it back with no word on if it was looked at, if there was something fixed or if anything was even wrong with it. I called and asked and they said there's nothing wrong with it. I asked if both pumps were working and they said "We didn't check the pumps". I asked how does this system work with no eductor and they didn't know. I asked who does know and he said only the owner and he isn't going to talk to you. The guy was a real jerk to me.

TMO Supporting Vendors