The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Looks great. How did you flare out the front and rear bumpers? I see they match up to the flares.

Sort of pulled it out and re drilled the flanges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is NOTHING wrong with rivets, and I don't trust two sided tape. Longacre and others all sell prepainted body rivets that I'm sure you're already aware of. My only issue with rivets is that they can "crimp" the flare if compressed too far.
I've used a heavy fiber "washer" to prevent that, but you may have to deal with rust because it's a garbage collection point.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'm used to Glass and aluminum bodied Stock cars...the whole car is held together with rivets. LOL. These metal body cars are a pain in my ass.
303670_10150997326263535_768925295_n.jpg

I used white rivets on the mustang, I have 3 flares done that look pretty good and one that will take some extra care so that's why I was wondering about maybe putting tape between the rivets to hold the flange tight in a couple spots.
These are prototypes so somebody has to be the guinea pig and find the challenging areas before they go to production. Stay tuned.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
preview (1).jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well, somebody tried to break into my trailer so we reinforced the door with 3/16" 6061 T6 Aluminum sheet. While we were at it, we made a pit pal style door organizer to hold our various implements of destruction. What better way to top it off but a nice big Red TMO Love decal.
Thank you once again www.trackdaysolutions.com for your quick turnaround and quality product!

TMO.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Very thorough and detailed thread, made my day of drinking coffee and reading enjoyable...boss said I was unproductive though...lol.
Ah what's he know....this is Racin' shiznit...you gotta be one to know one.
Glad you enjoyed the thread, it's been quite a trek for me.
Monday we unleash the beast. Frankenstang attacks Laguna Seca.....film at eleven ;)

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I am going to go that route. I used High Density Acrylic and it is awesome. Strong, flexible, etc. Plus it was only $100 I can stand on it and drag it on curbs all day long, but it is rather heavy. Have not weighed it, but I am sure the aluminum will be a lot less.
How thick was the plastic?
.160 6061 alum sheet weighs about 2.579 lbs./sqft

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I am going to go that route. I used High Density Acrylic and it is awesome. Strong, flexible, etc. Plus it was only $100 I can stand on it and drag it on curbs all day long, but it is rather heavy. Have not weighed it, but I am sure the aluminum will be a lot less.
HDPE? High Density Poly Ethylene?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
1/4" HDPE is only about 1.22 lbs/sq ft so its lighter than the aluminum.

Maybe I need to re think my material selection.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I know I didn't use HDPE. It was some kind of clear acrylic. I just can't remember exactly what. I may try HDPE or aluminum.

Probably polycarbonate

TMO Supporting Vendors