The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I'm sure it is...

It's only like $150 so i think i am going to replace mine with it. I have still been too lazy to take off and paint the one I have on there now. HDPE is not paintable, but comes in black and 8 million other colors.

I have to say though, I am so glad I made the first one out of something clear. It was so easy to drill all the holes when you can see through the substrate. I had to drill bumper holes, holes for the frame rail attachment points, you get the idea. Now, I just take this one to them and for $25 bucks, they cut it to exact match of my current one.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
It's only like $150 so i think i am going to replace mine with it. I have still been too lazy to take off and paint the one I have on there now. HDPE is not paintable, but comes in black and 8 million other colors.

I have to say though, I am so glad I made the first one out of something clear. It was so easy to drill all the holes when you can see through the substrate. I had to drill bumper holes, holes for the frame rail attachment points, you get the idea. Now, I just take this one to them and for $25 bucks, they cut it to exact match of my current one.
GREAT IDEA!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I saw that a TruCarbon CF front chin splitter for 2010-2014 mustang can be had for just under $400 shipped, which is considerably cheaper than the FRPP kit but the TruCarbon doesn't include the mounting hardware. Did you ever look at or consider CF for your MY? JTS, I like the look of your custom one in AL.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I saw that a TruCarbon CF front chin splitter for 2010-2014 mustang can be had for just under $400 shipped, which is considerably cheaper than the FRPP kit but the TruCarbon doesn't include the mounting hardware. Did you ever look at or consider CF for your MY? JTS, I like the look of your custom one in AL.

2 things....
1) I'm poor, so I have to make my own parts.
2) I have a fabrication shop, so how could I NOT make my own parts?

Besides, most carbon fiber splitters are really fiberglass with a carbon fiber wrap.
I don't know about this particular one, but that's very often how they are.
Basically, if it has a nice shiny gel coat on it and it looks gorgeous, it's likely street stuff and probably not the best fit for a race car. If I spent actual money on a carbon fiber anything it would be an AJ Hartman piece. They use an infusion process that isn't quite so shiny and lush, but way stronger and way lighter. Real race parts. My 14" x 72" wing weighs about 5 pounds and you can literally stand on it.

IMG_1867__43983.1484083953.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
AJ hartman has a nice splitter kit that I considered, but with my car now being some 4" wider than a mustang with 10's on it, this kit would be to narrow. I have considered sending him my splitter and having him copy it in carbon, but we aren't there yet. I'm still changing things and I'd hate to have to throw that in the trash.

SAM_0460__71091.1462570681.1280.1280.jpg

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
My experience with TruCarbon has always been top notch and their parts are CF through and through.

I was only asking because the weight of various materials came up and I'm not sure where CF fits in with HPDE or Acrylic. I believe with CF you're getting less weight with added strength vs aluminum but at a cost.

And you know, I have a hell of a lot of respect for someone home engineering their parts. You need to be creative, intelligent and have patience. All great virtues.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
My experience with TruCarbon has always been top notch and their parts are CF through and through.

I was only asking because the weight of various materials came up and I'm not sure where CF fits in with HPDE or Acrylic. I believe with CF you're getting less weight with added strength vs aluminum but at a cost.

And you know, I have a hell of a lot of respect for someone home engineering their parts. You need to be creative, intelligent and have patience. All great virtues.
Thanks, I appreciate that.
I looked over the tru carbon part and it is indeed infusion carbon fiber.
However, it has that thick gel coat I was talking about.
Yes, it's pretty, but Carbon is light, Gel is very heavy, so much of the weight advantage is lost in the name of making show stuff.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I'm willing to bet money that the TruCarbon "splitter" doesn't extend under the bumper at all and is purely for show. It might go to the wheel well, but I'd be surprised.

I love following your build Fabman, especially those lovely fender flares. I'm keeping my eye on those.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'm willing to bet money that the TruCarbon "splitter" doesn't extend under the bumper at all and is purely for show. It might go to the wheel well, but I'd be surprised.

I love following your build Fabman, especially those lovely fender flares. I'm keeping my eye on those.
Thank you Chris. They are installed now and I'll have the car out Monday.
There will likely be plenty of pictures of those flares up close and on track.
Stay tuned!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
IMG_1684.JPGIMG_1694.JPGIMG_2246.JPG.jpeg4.JPG3.jpg1.JPG6.JPGIMG_1687.JPG

The fender flares look good! Bring it to Sonoma tomorrow and I'll shake it down for you.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level