The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
On the cabbage of life my leaves are beginning to wilt.
However, I have lived a pretty exciting life, I have food on my table and a family that loves me. As much as I biznitch about things I don't like, I try never to forget about those things that matter most, and that in those areas I'm a wealthy man.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Hmm, Just wondering if you fabricated a split brake/clutch reservoir in aluminum??

You mean all under one cap or separate caps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Separate caps with separate reservoirs But in one metal box to keep installation simple.

Aluminum has a high degree of thermal conductivity so even if they were separated they would likely end up the same temp. As long as they shared one or more walls.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Special thanks to @JAJ for getting these Brembo beauty's into my hands.
I needed a miracle and he came along at just the right time. Thank you.

So, I fashioned up a pair of my 4" round to Oval backing plates and 4" bumper mount air inlets and hung all this crap today. I am excited to see how this transforms my car.
It will be nice to be able to trust the brakes for once. I always have to slow down way early to be sure I can make the turns....not too good for lap times, but getting killed isn't very high on my list right now so....

IMG_1801.jpgIMG_1800.jpgIMG_1807.jpgIMG_1806.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
All that crap looks pretty good to me! What is the drip tube for in the last photo?
Creep up on those corners with your new setup. I already learned the hard way that you can't alter physics even with a giant brake kit.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
All that crap looks pretty good to me! What is the drip tube for in the last photo?
Creep up on those corners with your new setup. I already learned the hard way that you can't alter physics even with a giant brake kit.
There is a remote valve at the bottom of that tube so I can drain the breather tank without taking anything apart or using any tools. You can just barely see it against that brake duct hose.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This is what came off.....These were brand new:83ed052be7fde93bbbc6f6d84995ca68.jpg4d1b19c7d6be3c5eeeb1e4cea19d546b.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I typically error on the side of caution.
You can always speed up the next lap, but it's tough to un-wreck your car when something goes wrong.
During my stock car days, on opening day every year, and I mean EVERY year, some idiot stuffs his brand new car into the first turn wall because they try to run too hard too quick with an un proven combination.
You have to ease into things until you are sure what the car is gonna do.
Throttles stick, brakes fail, bolts are sometimes loose or missing....shiznit happens.
I'd rather it happen at a speed where I can still fix it rather than junk it.
Once I have 100% confidence in my machine it's "Katie bar the door."
But until then I am listening and feeling things out, a little faster every lap until I am sure everything is perfect.

I've never had that level of comfort with this car....

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Its that you never stop modifying the dam thing!! But what you say is very true.... Better to go slow and even to make sure the car and driver are ready to push the envelope.

Stupid people make modifications and rush out next day at full speed..... ( thats me....next time softly softly)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Lol!! You are waaay passed stock..... Can you keep it unmodified for longer then a month?? I don't think so!!

But.....it just sits there....looking at me.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel