The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
It is very possible that my Tubular K member is flexing and losing camber/changing toe.
Filip cautioned me about this and Bruce Griggs also told me "tires that big really need an SLA" so that could be my issue. I am going a full 5 seconds faster so there is a huge net improvement, but it's frustrating to drive because I feel like I am parking it in the corners.
There is a ton more speed in this car if i can just squeeze it out.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
None of those shots look like you're rolling over on the outer edge or going up to 90º Just compare to the way the rear wheel/tire look for reference. Shots in 8A don't help much since the car is so loaded from the dip there. Does look like you could still use more spring and bar so far. Any more shots from sweepers? I'm thinking you could lose at least half a degree and you'll get more grip from both front tires.

Gotta take those tire profile temps!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Noe of those shots look like you're rolling over on the outer edge or going up to 90º Just compare to the way the rear wheel/tire look for reference. Shots in 8A don't help much since the car is so loaded from the dip there. Does look like you could still use more spring and bar so far. Any more shots from sweepers? I'm thinking you could lose at least half a degree and you'll get more grip from both front tires.

Gotta take those tire profile temps!
That's with the 600's and hole in middle of bar. I can easily take some camber out.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Looks like every shot I have is either entering, during or exiting the corkscrew. I'll look at other dates and see what I can find.

Grant 302

Pre-adjustment in 3 (brake duct plugs still in for session 1)
17432480653_cd117034e1_n.jpg

38138702864_88334b263a_c.jpg

Post adjustment in 5:
18053034265_764b4d2816_n.jpg
38823987382_17a6cf9cd2.jpg
Still more camber than I needed, but again, I was not getting rear grip.

Unfortunately, photographers move to different turns in different sessions so I won't have any from the same turn before and after. Also doesn't help that they almost never take shots at turn-in and before the apex. Best bet is when you're in the background of another cars shot, but good luck getting that in focus.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This is the best I can do for earlier in the turn shots:

GBMA0240.JPG

Grant 302

You might need to loose more camber than I thought:

Fabman T3 LS camber.jpegTurn 3 FakeR at LS.jpeg

By the pixels and some trig, I got yours at -2.9998º (more if I correct for the angle of view) compared the rear and mine at -1.7175º. Keep in mind that I reduced mine from here...and my car appears to be rolling quite a bit more, though I have 550lb./in. fronts.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
You might need to loose more camber than I thought:

View attachment 2926View attachment 2927

By the pixels and some trig, I got yours at -2.9998º (more if I correct for the angle of view) compared the rear and mine at -1.7175º. Keep in mind that I reduced mine from here...and my car appears to be rolling quite a bit more, though I have 550lb./in. fronts.
I'll be looking at this very closely in my final prep tomorrow.
Thanks for your efforts once again, you always have something noteworthy to say.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here you go @Grant 302:

Now THAT'S fully loaded suspension:

T6352_2K - Copy.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Anybody remember me saying this?
In the past when I've had a push that I couldn't adjust out I inevitably found something either bent, broken, binding or flexing. I will be looking all of those over tomorrow.

Everything is in the ballpark. The fact that nothing seems to help tells me I’m looking in the wrong places.

The fact that suddenly I am unable to affect change when change should be felt tells me I’m looking in the wrong place. There is something else I am missing. The problem is, the car isn’t responding to changes as expected. Something else is wrong.

I'm going to go ahead and assume this wasn't helping:

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Wtf?! How do you not notice that?
When the weight is on the wheels it's tight obviously.
The struts are slotted and apparently when we put the 600's in they didn't get tightened enough so they worked their way loose pretty quickly. There were 3 of us working on the car and I can only guess that everybody thought everybody else checked them.
I never heard any clunking or felt movement, though as I'd said before it felt like a stock car when you bang wheels and bend a ball joint or control arm. That familiar effed up "somethings bent push". If there was any noise on the track you sure couldn't hear it over the fuel pump....thats the only thing you can hear. My guess is that it was tight enough to feel tight by hand but loose enough to move under load and then slip back in place until it wore enough clearance to just flop like it did just now. The big wheels with all that offset only made things worse. This is almost certainly why I felt like no adjustments made any difference....because they were not the problem in the first place.

After this weekend I will put washers over the slots and weld them to the strut housing at the camber I desire so this can't happen again.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'm also going to stop using that electric impact we've grown so fond of.
I've found that the torque isn't nearly what it was when I first bought it...I'm sure that's what was used to tighten the strut bolts.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Camber.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Dynamic camber adjustment with automatic toe compensation. What'll they think of next...

Now, everybody's going to want it.
That's what we do here....we innovate. Sometimes it's actually on purpose.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Lessons were learned....one of them is not trusting.
Its back to personally verifying every detail.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I love my paint marks, if it's not marked, I check it. Then I mark it.

I’m starting to like that idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel