The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
How were you running that low and light? Was it some kind of outlaw class? IIRC my super late was 40" min roof height and 2600 lbs min before the race and with driver.
It's a Pro-4 car.
Kind of like super late models but with 4 cyl engines, and usually faster than their V8 counterparts. They have all the right stuff, quick changes, coilovers, tube frames glass/alum bodies etc.
Roof height was 36 or 37 inches if I remember correctly.
If you look back in this thread there are pictures of several I had built back then.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/fabmans-build-how-did-we-get-here.11501/page-39

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
How were you running that low and light? Was it some kind of outlaw class? IIRC my super late was 40" min roof height and 2600 lbs min before the race and with driver.

Go see a non wing spring car race and check out the cars. They are really bare bones. They make a late model look complicated and over done. Then compare a late model to a TA1 or GT1 car. Its another step way more complicated. Then for another thousand times more complication, race a real street car. Even stripped down, there is way too much stuff in it.

That's why I don't get the desire to build full out road race street cars that end up never being on the street anymore. At that point just go with a purpose built race car. They are cheaper and faster. I'm not knocking anyone or anyone's car. I just don't want to give up the street usefulness. I'm already at about the limits of my mods. I've given up all the street manners that I care to give up in order to make a faster track car. YRMV.
I feel ya. This was just supposed to be some weekend fun with my street car and I'm not sure quite what happened but it got a little out of hand pretty quickly. If I had it to do all over again I would have just built another late model. Way cheaper and simpler, and frankly, more fun. PLUS....you get paid to race. This is all negative cash flow.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I hope I didn't come off offensively. If we were in person, it wouldn't have. And I did see the chassis pics. I was more interested in the offset and didn't even look at the engine. I completely missed it was a 4cyl. We don't have anything like that in the midwest.

Your Mustang is impressive and I understand the challenge and reward of building something that most people can't. But I personally get tired of having to custom fit aftermarket parts or make my own parts. I don't mind doing the work but it seems like every single job on a street car takes twice the effort that it should take. Which takes some of the fun out of it.

To me its just a play car. When I raced seriously, I became a slave to the car. Always working on it. Always thinking about it, etc. Until it burned me out.

Now, I don't trailer my car anywhere. I don't have a tire trailer. I don't have a support truck. I put my A7's on at home and drive to the track (one is 50 miles, other is 90 miles one way). Run the car hard but with some safety margin and then drive it home. I've also driven it work a few times with A7's on it just cause guys said I couldn't or wouldn't. I gave them a few joy rides and after putting a Z06 to shame, no one talks smack anymore about what I can or can't do :)

Forgot to say I like the T-Bird body. Thats what I ran. I never switched over to the Taurus. The T-Bird was way cooler.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I hope I didn't come off offensively. If we were in person, it wouldn't have. And I did see the chassis pics. I was more interested in the offset and didn't even look at the engine. I completely missed it was a 4cyl. We don't have anything like that in the midwest.

Your Mustang is impressive and I understand the challenge and reward of building something that most people can't. But I personally get tired of having to custom fit aftermarket parts or make my own parts. I don't mind doing the work but it seems like every single job on a street car takes twice the effort that it should take. Which takes some of the fun out of it.

To me its just a play car. When I raced seriously, I became a slave to the car. Always working on it. Always thinking about it, etc. Until it burned me out.

Now, I don't trailer my car anywhere. I don't have a tire trailer. I don't have a support truck. I put my A7's on at home and drive to the track (one is 50 miles, other is 90 miles one way). Run the car hard but with some safety margin and then drive it home. I've also driven it work a few times with A7's on it just cause guys said I couldn't or wouldn't. I gave them a few joy rides and after putting a Z06 to shame, no one talks smack anymore about what I can or can't do :)

Forgot to say I like the T-Bird body. Thats what I ran. I never switched over to the Taurus. The T-Bird was way cooler.
No offense taken at all, I completely agree with everything you said.
Nice to have someone around with a similar background who understands where I'm coming from. And yeah, these tin can cars are way too much work and cost way too much money. Give me a pile of tubing and lets build A REAL RACE CAR....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I remember when race tires were 100 bucks a piece and a 35 dollar entry fee could win you 3000 bucks. Those were the days.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
55f4476dc3583e2143121088e8264f5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
25465602_10212657962337623_1728739296_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Just needed this pic link to redo my sig.....and photobucket sucks, so...

24852237_200654933840623_3573322164273519654_n - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Not available in stores......89106a7d5d9c7c428e0a8449f3c5e0a2.jpg
320a59406035ecb9e07628cc3c89e405.jpg
Kevin Patten Models the new Specfab Racing Swag ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type