The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
IMG_3713.jpgIMG_3714.jpgIMG_3715.jpgIMG_3718.jpgIMG_3717.jpg

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Looks good. I'm impressed.

Did you consider moving the motor back in addition to the seats? I know it would be a pain, but thats really the only way to get less nose wt.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Looks good. I'm impressed.

Did you consider moving the motor back in addition to the seats? I know it would be a pain, but thats really the only way to get less nose wt.
More of an undertaking than I'm ready for at this moment.
Next year I will tackle the engine compartment and we'll see how involved I want to get then.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Its a lot of work for sure. I've looked at it a couple times. You can get about 2" max setback before significant firewall and tunnel cutting is involved. 2" is not enough weight movement to make it worth the effort. These cars really need at least a 6" setback.

Too bad I'm not closer. I'd like to come over and check out your car.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Its a lot of work for sure. I've looked at it a couple times. You can get about 2" max setback before significant firewall and tunnel cutting is involved. 2" is not enough weight movement to make it worth the effort. These cars really need at least a 6" setback.

Too bad I'm not closer. I'd like to come over an check your car.

Even less room with the Kenne Bell. I’ve gone farther than I planned with this pile already. If I was halfway serious I’d just build a tube chassis and make a real race car. This tin can POS was never intended to get this elaborate on my watch....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Why do I feel like I've built this dash before...?

IMG_3719.jpg382378_10150994698523535_677908111_n.jpg

LOL....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I've built this same dash over and over and over since the 70's...it's sort of a theme.
This is also the shade of Blue that my cage was supposed to be.
But, it's not. :(

12191020_10153693444388535_5686137370668960714_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work as usual!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thanks.
Sheetmetal is the easy part . The hard part is the electrical and Kevin is right in the middle of it. The days of a push button starter and one wire to the coil are over. Stripping out the unused circuits and integrating stand alone accessories into the system without upsetting the computer is a nightmare. Poor guy has his hands full. But, to me it wasn’t going to be a race car without my classic dash so here we are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Soooo much crap to wire in....

IMG_3825.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Is that Weldon fuel pump the howling one or did you replace the howler with a quieter one?
I got the Fuel Pump Controller wired in...(well Kevin did) and it's made a huge difference.
It's not dead quiet by any means but it's probably a 70% improvement, which is a lot.
...and no, my gauges aren't all different colors, just the light bulbs.
3 came Green and 3 came clear. When I had them in 2 different gauge pods it was no big deal. Just need to change the bulbs....a detail I'll get to later.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
There goes my sequential shifter :(

HI Sal,

Due to unforeseen delays in manufacturing and increased costs we have suspended all sales of the current version of the Bremer Shifter. We are reviewing the manufacturing process in an attempt to keep the current retail pricing and reduce delivery time to an acceptable level. We should have this solved in the near future.

Regards,

Russ

TMO Supporting Vendors