The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I remember that car, first time I saw it was at SATL. I was very impressed with your work under the hood.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I remember that car, first time I saw it was at SATL. I was very impressed with your work under the hood.
Ah the show car days....that was with the 3L Techco Blower. Seems like decades ago.
Wait, that WAS a decade ago....

18365_214224153534_882163_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Just had somebody offer to buy my trailer for top dollar....one more check mark in the "sell the racing program" column. Somebody offer me a reasonable price for the car w/spares and I just may wash my hands of it altogether. Its a pretty clean build.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Fabman, Would you switch to a street Stang or go down a different road altogether?....That new GT500 might tempt you................

If I built another car it would be a late model stock car., for all the reasons we’ve discussed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I know a few neighbors that run late models at Colorado National Speedway and come home looking like $50 sheet metal scraps. Still, they're out there often and although none are champs, you can hear them banging away in the modest garage shops and get out every weekend to run their cars on that 3/8 mile oval. I haven't a clue what it costs them to run so often but each and every one of them beem when they talk about their addiction.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I know a few neighbors that run late models at Colorado National Speedway and come home looking like $50 sheet metal scraps. Still, they're out there often and although none are champs, you can hear them banging away in the modest garage shops and get out every weekend to run their cars on that 3/8 mile oval. I haven't a clue what it costs them to run so often but each and every one of them beem when they talk about their addiction.
Some tracks are exceptionally brutal, especially dirt tracks.
I'm not crazy about bumper cars, but it does happen.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
One of these is a professionally built caliper bracket from a major aftermarket brake manufacturer and one was hand built here at Specfab Racing.
Can you guess which one is which?
Here’s a hint....Besides the questionable welding, on one of them the holes don’t even line up and the other fits perfectly and the caliper is correctly aligned with the rotor.
The specfab brackets were also 1/3 the cost.

70835846_10157639187543535_3820463470961229824_n.jpg

Last edited:
One of these is a professionally built caliper bracket from a major aftermarket brake manufacturer and one was hand built here at Specfab Racing.
Here’s a hint....Besides the questionable welding, on one of them the holes don’t even line up and the other fits perfectly and the caliper is correctly aligned with the rotor.
The specfab brackets were also 1/3 the cost.

View attachment 10121
Nice work on the bottom bracket. I was having a discussion at the Mustang Roundup with a couple of TMO members about installing radial mount rear brake calipers on the GT350 and possible S550 cars. They would need a custom bracket to do so. If you're interested in developing that product I can share my ideas with you. The rear caliper removal on a GT350 (maybe all S550's) is a PITA and my idea would solve that.

Car looked great in The live stream!

Quick question, How did you defeat the Magneride?

I think it's the drum parking brake setup with the four piston calipers on the GT350 and other variants that have that setup. It's a major PITA. I'm pretty sure the GT500 will have the same setup.
Yep the GT350 Park Brake is a PITA. Pretty sure the GT500 moves to a second brake by wire caliper.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
But you're ignoring the extra surface area the "weld" provides for heat dissipation. Those dimes you're laying are killing your product. o_O

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors