The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Starting to look like a race car again.

IMG_9805.jpg

The whole car is lower and stiffer. Practically everything in the drive train and suspension has been changed.
With the the chassis drop and the splitter drop she measures just about 3 1/4" at the leading edge of the splitter.
Between the lower splitter and the tunnels I added the aero should be way more effective.
The car was really hurting for front downforce.

IMG_9807.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Engine is ready at AED, now to find time to make the 5 hour journey there and back.
CJ Intake is at Airflow Research for porting. That should be back in a few weeks....slowly we move forward.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I know the feeling. It’s been two years since I’ve had my car on track. It’s been at Vorshlag for a year now. I need it!!!
I don't know whats worse, waiting for somebody else to do the work or having to do the work yourself...I'm getting a little too old for this crap.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Starting to look like a race car again.

View attachment 58208

The whole car is lower and stiffer. Practically everything in the drive train and suspension has been changed.
With the the chassis drop and the splitter drop she measures just about 3 1/4" at the leading edge of the splitter.
Between the lower splitter and the tunnels I added the aero should be way more effective.
The car was really hurting for front downforce.

View attachment 58209
The car looks so good. When it's done you should drive it to work for a least the first month...lol

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The car looks so good. When it's done you should drive it to work for a least the first month...lol
I'd love to but it hasn't been street legal in years.
I live in the SF bay area, I'd totally stick out amongst all the prius's and electric cars....they'd have me handcuffed and the car on a tow truck in 10 minutes flat.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I live in the SF bay area, I'd totally stick out amongst all the prius's and electric cars....they'd have me handcuffed and the car on a tow truck in 10 minutes flat.
There's your first problem. Living in California. I grew up there so I'm allowed to say California laws suck. I registered my dirt bike in TN and got plates and insurance. Then I took it to CA so I could do a 4 day ride through the desert from LA to Vegas. We got pulled over when we got on the road for a gas stop in CA. The cop didn't like us but he let us go.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SF Bay Area

i hear that! last time i took my car out ive run into mutiple cops. And i know the “Im just testing out parts, its a track car” only works so many times

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
There's your first problem. Living in California. I grew up there so I'm allowed to say California laws suck. I registered my dirt bike in TN and got plates and insurance. Then I took it to CA so I could do a 4 day ride through the desert from LA to Vegas. We got pulled over when we got on the road for a gas stop in CA. The cop didn't like us but he let us go.
I'd blow this popsicle stand in a second if I could, but my business is here and I'm too old to start over or get a job working for someone else.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
i hear that! last time i took my car out ive run into mutiple cops. And i know the “Im just testing out parts, its a track car” only works so many times
Yeah, no plates and a signed non-op is basically jail time around here....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Engine is ready at AED, now to find time to make the 5 hour journey there and back.
CJ Intake is at Airflow Research for porting. That should be back in a few weeks....slowly we move forward.

Some how,,, And I don't mean it to sound petty.... But I get a sense of relief knowing that I am not the only one who has to wait,.. and wait.... and wait,... to get his car back on track.

Car nut Solidarity!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Some how,,, And I don't mean it to sound petty.... But I get a sense of relief knowing that I am not the only one who has to wait,.. and wait.... and wait,... to get his car back on track.

Car nut Solidarity!
Yeah seems like its some sort of theme with race cars.
Shaun was actually quick about doing the motor, we just went through a couple rejects before we got one that appears worth using, so it took some time securing the various junkyard candidates. We didn't tear it down, just a quick bore scope and inspect the bottom end before he installed the intake only cams pump, gear, tensioners, scrapers and pan. We wont know anything for sure until we get it on the dyno. I don't expect a rocket ship but anything over 450 rwhp would be a nice bonus, but who knows, we might not even get that out of it. Stay tuned. It will be interesting to see what built motors are making, I saw a youtube dyno video where the 5.2 Alunimnator XS was only putting down about 495 rwhp and I thought to myself 20 grand was a lot of money for 45 extra RWHP...... But I know myself, and the first time somebody blows by me on the straightaway I am going to regret thinking that. LOL.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
And with that, I am on my way to AED.

Yay!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
4A4FEEAE-289B-49B6-A5B2-77085C85C857.jpeg

Good luck Fabman! I really enjoy following your progress and good grief your car looks so awesome! It is the perfect modern version of a 1970 SCCA Trans Am race car (i.e. the coolest race cars of all time).

TMO Supporting Vendors