The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
This is what I got from Kohr (fronts only)

1616189745382.png

In the V6L
Interesting. The Pagid 3280 outline is not in the Pagid online catalog, but the 3277, 3278 and 3279 are, and they're all the same outline and differ only in thickness. 3280 is the thinnest of the bunch at 20mm. That pad series is referred to as Brembo 140C or B19 depending on the generation of the caliper.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Interesting. The Pagid 3280 outline is not in the Pagid online catalog, but the 3277, 3278 and 3279 are, and they're all the same outline and differ only in thickness. 3280 is the thinnest of the bunch at 20mm. That pad series is referred to as Brembo 140C or B19 depending on the generation of the caliper.
Oddly, the shape is just a little bit different than the original pad, though it does seem to fit the caliper okay.
The center loop feature is missing (that goes against the center retention spring) but doesn't look like it should affect the operation. Perhaps this is why the part number is not familiar.

IMG_1623.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
In the V6L
Here's the drawing of the caliper from the Brembo Racing catalog from 2016:

1616347314748.png

The drawing shows pads with flat tops in 49mm deep and 61mm deep versions. I expect that the loops on the Raybestos pads are there to speed up trackside pad changes.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here's the drawing of the caliper from the Brembo Racing catalog from 2016:

View attachment 63675

The drawing shows pads with flat tops in 49mm deep and 61mm deep versions. I expect that the loops on the Raybestos pads are there to speed up trackside pad changes.
That makes sense.
They fit fine, just noticed this one difference and wondered if that had anything to do with the part# differences.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well we actually broke out of the 3400# bracket with a 3399 so the whole changeover saved us about 84 pounds wet with 16 qts of oil and 16 gallons of fuel. I’ll take it.

0BFC3BD7-5E83-40D4-A91B-8EA60D4CD6E5.jpeg
68DDF4CA-8BFC-43CD-A5B9-72CFC4A5E635.jpeg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Funny that the rear percentage is exactly the same as before (46.7%) - 38 lbs. off the rear of the car and 46 lbs. off of the front.
Yeah, I noticed that too.
We did move the mufflers ahead of the axel and hang a big oil cooler way out front so that's probably canceling some of the rear %. (Both ahead of their respective axels where before the blower and mufflers were behind their respective axels)

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
Axel:
noun
a jump in skating with a forward takeoff from the forward outside edge of one skate to the backward outside edge of the other, with one and a half turns in the air.

Axle:
noun
a rod or spindle (either fixed or rotating) passing through the center of a wheel or group of wheels.

Sorry! couldn't help myself.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well, Fabman is jumping through hoops to finish his project but let's pray it doesn't result in a triple-axel.
#downforcematters

I'm counting on the 'ole triple axle to get me there and back.

40486044_10156652444748535_5540968631766089728_n.jpg

One of the words I always have trouble with:​

Axel vs. axle​

An axel is a figure-skating jump named after the Norwegian skater Axel Paulsen (1855-1938). It does not need to be capitalized. An axle is a rounded shaft or rod that connects two wheels. Coincidentally, this word’s origins are also Norwegian; it comes from the Old Norse öxull.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I'm counting on the 'ole triple axle to get me there and back.

View attachment 63780

One of the words I always have trouble with:​

Axel vs. axle​

An axel is a figure-skating jump named after the Norwegian skater Axel Paulsen (1855-1938). It does not need to be capitalized. An axle is a rounded shaft or rod that connects two wheels. Coincidentally, this word’s origins are also Norwegian; it comes from the Old Norse öxull.
And here I was thinking Axel Foley... :)

1616617183494.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Having the car street-able does have its perks!!
If I have to change the pads in between races I use the warm up lap to heat the brakes up with left foot braking while accelerating, Trying as best as possible to replicate the the following all in one lap! ... practically impossible but you can try.

View attachment 63599

Its not the same, but it seems to work. For my part I did not find the Pagids to be that sensitive to bedding, Maybe that's because I only use Pagid pads up front now so the discs are already compatible to the pad material. In general they have been the kindest to the discs. The RSL29 are really really disc friendly and is pretty good for short races as well. But its the most expensive... For the last while, my discs have been dying with too much heat crackling before I need to change pads. Gloc 18 pads were stopping the car as quickly as the Pagids but were lasting 3 to 4 hours, compared to 7 hours. Our typical events are now four 20min sessions with a few practice laps on the side. Some of my track buddies are on EBC pads that last about 45 min.
Check out Baers rotor seasoning and pad bedding procedure.

>> Rotor Seasoning and Pad Bedding <<

How practical is this on a race car?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Check out Baers rotor seasoning and pad bedding procedure.

>> Rotor Seasoning and Pad Bedding <<

How practical is this on a race car?
Not terribly!!..... Not a huge Baer fan, they remind me of Wilwoods. Suspect steel in them things....Glad you got some race Brembos up front.

But I see your point about crackled discs, Wanted to try out the Vorshlag airbrakes to see if I can get the temps down. I remember seeing lots of flames coming out of the wheels after the end of a Enduro... Other Peoples Rubber was falling off the insides of the wheel and bursting in flames on the discs.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Not terribly!!..... Not a huge Baer fan, they remind me of Wilwoods. Suspect steel in them things....Glad you got some race Brembos up front.

But I see your point about crackled discs, Wanted to try out the Vorshlag airbrakes to see if I can get the temps down. I remember seeing lots of flames coming out of the wheels after the end of a Enduro... Other Peoples Rubber was falling off the insides of the wheel and bursting in flames on the discs.
I'm sure they probably work ok but to me they look like airbrakes....real airbrakes...the kind that they use to stop an airplane. With all the work we do trying to keep our cars aerodynamically slippery I don't see how putting two parachutes under the car is all that helpful. I want the air coming from the tunnels to feed smoothly up and out the fender vents, not all balled up in front of the control arm and bashed into a 90* turn, but what do I know. Stick you arm out the window with a dust pan in your hand and see how aerodynamic that feels....

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors