The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I'm sure they probably work ok but to me they look like airbrakes....real airbrakes...the kind that they use to stop an airplane. With all the work we do trying to keep our cars aerodynamically slippery I don't see how putting two parachutes under the car is all that helpful. I want the air coming from the tunnels to feed smoothly up and out the fender vents, not all balled up in front of the control arm and bashed into a 90* turn, but what do I know. Stick you arm out the window with a dust pan in your hand and see how aerodynamic that feels....
Yup, thats pretty much why we didn't get them or make our own in the end. May be it would be ok for parking lots! ;)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
So I had 3" hoses with the FTBR kit, which continually got crushed and I don't think they put a ton of air through. I can't imagine how I could have made 4" hoses fit. Out of frustration with the hoses I got the Vorshlag flaps. I did leave the 3" hoses in there, they are cut off at the inner fender liner and also are directed at the flaps. But all the rest of that kit was removed.
My brake temps are stable, as good as they were with hoses that weren't crushed and obviously better than crushed hoses, certainly have had no new braking issues since changing to the flaps.
Rooting through videos from last summer, the first year with the flaps, my top speed on the longest straight at Mosport was 146 mph. That is actually higher than I previously saw with the hoses which would be in the 143-145 range. That's the fastest straight of any track that I run.
So I kind of think any additional drag from the flaps is minimal and they are certainly a lot less trouble than the hoses were!
I have a totally stock aero PP1 car, other than Race Louvers hood vents.
This is hardly scientific and was shot with a cell phone, so as always, YMMV.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So I had 3" hoses with the FTBR kit, which continually got crushed and I don't think they put a ton of air through. I can't imagine how I could have made 4" hoses fit. Out of frustration with the hoses I got the Vorshlag flaps. I did leave the 3" hoses in there, they are cut off at the inner fender liner and also are directed at the flaps. But all the rest of that kit was removed.
My brake temps are stable, as good as they were with hoses that weren't crushed and obviously better than crushed hoses, certainly have had no new braking issues since changing to the flaps.
Rooting through videos from last summer, the first year with the flaps, my top speed on the longest straight at Mosport was 146 mph. That is actually higher than I previously saw with the hoses which would be in the 143-145 range. That's the fastest straight of any track that I run.
So I kind of think any additional drag from the flaps is minimal and they are certainly a lot less trouble than the hoses were!
I have a totally stock aero PP1 car, other than Race Louvers hood vents.
This is hardly scientific and was shot with a cell phone, so as always, YMMV.
4” ducts do fit, it’s a pain in the ass on those cars which is why those flaps got popular. It’s an easy solution, but not the only or best solution. S197 is way more hose friendly, but still a pain in the ass. So we choose what’s important to us. As a guy who’s quite capable of making those flappy things for myself, I’ll still take the hoses.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Whoah.....now here's an oldie but goodie:

Who's that young man setting the bump steer way back in 1992?

Note the bubble level on the lower control arm and home made bump steer gauge.
397673_10150994699053535_375944653_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well, it runs and moves forward and back under its own power so the clutch works.
I think next week it’s going to go for a ride around the parking lot, then it’s off to AED. :)

8F0EB7EC-09A0-40BD-BD5A-C71F88BC6981.jpeg

3F33A440-4647-4D90-9D73-316A2950F30D.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Soooo... how'd you go from tube chassis magician to messin with a mustang as deep as you have?
It was totally unintended.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Soooo... how'd you go from tube chassis magician to messin with a mustang as deep as you have?
It's all Kevin's fault.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well, what was your opinion on the solid axle beast then vs now?
It will never be as fast as a similarly prepared s550 but it is what it is and I love the early s197 body style.
Kevin has the Cortex Cambered rear so that's about as close to an IRS as we're gonna get.
I'm still on the stock axle housing and that's going to have to be good enough at least for now.
I'll know more when I get it to Laguna Seca for a test day next week. Stay tuned.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
There it is, ride heights set and ready to go to AED Tuning.

168003208_10159303025673535_6548005009913457566_n.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel