The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Good morning Laguna Seca!

2A242DC7-BE9C-401F-870C-35A32AB94581.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well good news, really good news, bad news and really bad news:

The good news is I gave up 250 HP and went just as fast.
The really good news is that there is much more in this car, I will tweak her into shape. ;)
The bad news is my ABS isn't working and it locks the rear brakes with any serious pressure sending the car all over the track and killing any confidence on corner entry. I dropped the watts twice and tamed her a bit but this has to be fixed.
The really bad news is this motor is a heavy breather. I never got more than 5 or 6 laps before it filled the puke can and spilled oil on my headers sending smoke out the back and bringing out the meatball flag.
All I can do is make a bigger puke tank and plan a rebuild for the off season.

171939193_10159326646293535_6459933518690772048_n.jpg
Left.JPGRight.JPGCS1.JPGCS2.JPG

This motor is a high winder, and good thing because this new close ratio trans changed all my shift points and I am now running one gear lower in just about every sector. That blower motor had the torque to pull 4th all day long. The Coyote prefers to wind. I am almost certainly going to have to change the rear gear from 4:10 to a 3:90 or 3:73.

The new front end is awesome. If the brakes weren't locking up I would have gone much much faster but I had to tighten the chassis up so much to keep from being killed that it started to affect the front end bite so we've reached the limit here. Good news is I know what to do about this. Overall the car was great (once I got over the whole no power thing) and all that work has paid off.

Now to build a 55 gallon puke tank. :mad:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thats great to hear!! Considering all the major changes to the car, those some were pretty minor foibles. How big was your puke tank?? I had the the little catch can and that was a no go with the new build, filled up in 10 min.. Put in a 1L puke can and all was good.

Being as fast as the car was before, with 250 hp less, is pretty impressive. You will only get faster.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
On another note, all the cooling mods I made paid off.
The car runs well below temp, I am going to be able to block off the grill entirely and feed from the bottom only.
More downforce!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thats great to hear!! Considering all the major changes to the car, those some were pretty minor foibles. How big was your puke tank?? I had the the little catch can and that was a no go with the new build, filled up in 10 min.. Put in a 1L puke can and all was good.

Being as fast as the car was before, with 250 hp less, is pretty impressive. You will only get faster.
Its a Peterson can so much smaller than the one I had for the blower motor. That one is going back on.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Considering all that you've gone through with this bad boy, that doesn't seem like horrible news. Those are some great pictures too! I'm amazed that you are able to run just as fast as a heavily modded blown 3v. That's just nuts. Well done!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Congratulations - sounds great! How were the brakes with the new pads?
They bite awesome, major stopping power, just way too much rear brake and no ABS. Gotta get that sorted out somehow.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Shoot me a pic of that new puke can please.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Why do yo think you have so much crank blowback?? Before the Cobrajet setup I would have very little oil in the catch can. But after, I had to go to the bigger one... Its pretty minor compared to yours though... maybe 300 to 400 cc per hour.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

TMO Supporting Vendors