The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Sal, suppose you were to plumb the bottom drain of the petersen can back to the oil pan? You could put a one way check valve in the line so any crankcase pressure keeps it closed but off throttle it would allow the oil to flow back.
I did that with the 3 valve but I did it while that pan was off so I could weld a bung in.
Too late for this one I'm afraid.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Why do yo think you have so much crank blowback?? Before the Cobrajet setup I would have very little oil in the catch can. But after, I had to go to the bigger one... Its pretty minor compared to yours though... maybe 300 to 400 cc per hour.
I assume its because the motor is worn and pushing fuel past the rings because what came out was very thin and smelled like e85. I'll look more carefully when I change the oil this week.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
IMG_1833.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Still. some pretty big numbers for worn rings!!
Yeah, I'm surprised at that....maybe I'm wrong and there is another reason why its pushing oil out, but boy howdy is it!

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Fabman....I read this entire thread. I'm a fan . Your skill set is top notch along with your fabrication talents. Love watching the old rotary scream around the oval, Hah..... I love old rotary Mazda's.
2 questions
1, I'm assuming you gutted the doors in this build. but are you running side windows ? plexi ?
2, You mentioned between 3 - 3.5 neg camber. Do you set it and forget it. or spend a lot of time adjusting for different tracks ?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I have a dumb idea - could you put a tee fitting in the dipstick tube?
Good idea but logistically improbable.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here it is...first laps on the new setup.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Great job. She sounds great!
I'm a little worried about the gearing....that's 8 grand at the top of the corkscrew.
Probably why its blowing so much oil out the breathers. :(

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I've never gone above 7700 and then only rarely so I can't speak to blow by. But the 3.73s should help with longevity. I'm unfamiliar with Laguna, would the gear change decrease the shifting required.

So what's the bottom line of being just as fast with 200 fewer ponies and faulty ABS. Was it the suspension? Less torque to break the wheels loose out of the corners?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I've never gone above 7700 and then only rarely so I can't speak to blow by. But the 3.73s should help with longevity. I'm unfamiliar with Laguna, would the gear change decrease the shifting required.

So what's the bottom line of being just as fast with 200 fewer ponies and faulty ABS. Was it the suspension? Less torque to break the wheels loose out of the corners?
1) suspension
2) Aero
Both were suffering and complicating each other.
There's more speed in this car, give me a chance to dial it up a bit. :)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'm 4:10's now. I could be hitting 4th but then have to shift right back to 3rd so holding it out a bit longer works perfect, just a little high winding for a stock motor. Thinking of going to 3:90's, that will knock 500 rpm right off the top and make it 7500 at the top of the corkscrew.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Fabman....I read this entire thread. I'm a fan . Your skill set is top notch along with your fabrication talents. Love watching the old rotary scream around the oval, Hah..... I love old rotary Mazda's.
2 questions
1, I'm assuming you gutted the doors in this build. but are you running side windows ? plexi ?
2, You mentioned between 3 - 3.5 neg camber. Do you set it and forget it. or spend a lot of time adjusting for different tracks ?
Thank you!
Yes, everything is gutted. No side windows. Front and back windows are lexan.
With the struts I ended up at -3.25* camber. I really only run a few tracks and it seems to work for all of those.
I do watch my tire wear and monitor pressures, the usual stuff.
I have an SLA now so static camber is somewhat less but the camber curve is progressive so it gains 1* of camber per inch of travel. The struts are digressive. You loose camber as the suspension compresses so you need more static camber. Its not ideal but can be made to work very well.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Am envious that you get to track the beast. How did the brakes work out??
Terrible. The ABS isn't working and it locks up the rears with even moderate pressure.
I have to coast into the corners and it's killing my lap times.
Picked up some new information on ABS wiring, hopefully we can get that handled so I can send it like it wants to be sent.

TMO Supporting Vendors