The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Wished we woulda signed up for Sunday so coulda checked out this build!

You aiming to run ITE this year?
Would have loved to see yours. I have pics of it on track that I swiped somewhere....love that car!
Yes, ITE.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I had that on my 3 valve but this pan doesn't have a bung in it so no place for the oil to re enter the engine.
If only you knew some sort of fab...man...

HRMMMM...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If only you knew some sort of fab...man...

HRMMMM...
I'm building a remote tank for the Petersen to feed into.....designed it up tonight, will build tomorrow.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Anyone besides me think of this every time someone talks about Peterson catch cans on this forum?

That’s funny, we have a portable heater that we call “ Mr Heaterson” after that movie..

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
@Albino500 stopped by today just long enough to clean up the cut on my rear bumper.
It looks much better than the hurry up cut I made right before track day.

IMG_1859.jpgIMG_1860.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Okay, I needed to build a puke tank and this is what I have so far.
That top baffle keeps oil out of the breather area and provides a small drain back.
The upside down V baffle is to help minimize slosh under braking and acceleration.
It has the opposite corners nipped off so the tank can be drained but fluid can't rush directly from one end to the other. The body has a sloped bottom so that oil runs to a petcock that I will install later for easy draining.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

We machined up some bungs to make the necessary connections and then welded the companion flange to the tank.

4.jpg5.jpg

A bracket was needed to hang this thing. The back side of it was countersunk and flat head bolts were welded in so that there would be fixed studs on the outside for easy installation.
The companion flange was then welded to the tank and Ny-locks were used to secure the tank in place.

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

The breather element and an A/N 90 is visible behind the headlight blank and just peeks over the frame rail.
A braided steel line will make its way up to the Petersen tank where I will weld another bung to the bottom.
That will serve as the main air/oil separator and feed the lower tank which has its own breather so that the tank doesn't pressurize and prevent oil from entering.
I'll plumb this stuff up tomorrow. Right now I'm ready for dinner and a nap.

9.jpg

To be continued.....

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Better yet, I created an Excel spreadsheet that calculated RPM with various tranny, rear gear, and tire size combinations. I would review video and enter corner and straight speeds for every track I go to, and the corresponding RPM would output.
Did the same thing for evaluating top speed in 2nd gear from tire size and differential changes for moving to ESP in autocross. For track work, I'm thinking there's a balance you need to maintain between hitting the rev limiter just before the end of a straight versus being "between gears" on corner exit, especially leading onto a long straight. I took my calculations a step further and tried to also figure the torque at the contact patch for each combination of tire and gear at a couple lower speeds typical of corner exits, so I could see the potential effect on acceleration.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The oil tank was going to block access to the brake hose and being a wear item I didn't want to have to remove the tank every time I had to change a hose so I made up a hard line to get past the tank.
Besides being much easier to reach it also takes less hose, and its much smoother flowing....so it's all good there.
I'm going to call this one done and move on.

1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
2.jpg
5.jpg6.jpg

7.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Question about your Cortex SLA. Does that setup add any significant amount of weight over the stock(ish) layout that you know of? I imagine the advantages it offers outweigh (heh) any cons so it's probably irrelevant anyways. No worries if you don't have that info, just thought I'd ask. Thanks Sal!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Question about your Cortex SLA. Does that setup add any significant amount of weight over the stock(ish) layout that you know of? I imagine the advantages it offers outweigh (heh) any cons so it's probably irrelevant anyways. No worries if you don't have that info, just thought I'd ask. Thanks Sal!
You know, I wondered about that.
It has a few more pieces but then the struts are pretty heavy by themselves....I bet it's probably a wash.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That's kind of what I was thinking as well. Thanks!
You know, I already had a BMR setup I am comparing it to....when the weight of a stock cross member and arms is considered I bet the cortex is lighter.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sorry for another noob question...how is camber adjusted on the Cortex SLA?
Upper control arms have threaded links in it to lengthen/shorten.IMG_9187.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
weight.jpg

Aaannnddd....I'm saving a small fortune on food. Mo Money For HOOSIERS!

TMO Supporting Vendors