The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
When I put the Cortex SLA (with DA Penske's) on my car that had a stock K Member and MCS struts I dropped 90lbs off the front of the car.
*spits coffee out*

Wow, that's with no other changes? Just OEM-style struts to SLA? Did you change the brakes as well and how much would that account for?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Los Angeles
Yes, that is pretty much all that was changed. I went from the Ford Racing Brembos to Stoptechs. Most of the weight loss was in the Cortex K-Member vs stock and all the steel in the spindles and struts getting replaced with aluminum.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Yes, that is pretty much all that was changed. I went from the Ford Racing Brembos to Stoptechs. Most of the weight loss was in the Cortex K-Member vs stock and all the steel in the spindles and struts getting replaced with aluminum.
That's awesome! More reason to go Cortex.
It's been a good long time since I had a stock K member/A arms so I had forgotten how heavy they are.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
When I put the Cortex SLA (with DA Penske's) on my car that had a stock K Member and MCS struts I dropped 90lbs off the front of the car.

That's awesome! More reason to go Cortex.
It's been a good long time since I had a stock K member/A arms so I had forgotten how heavy they are.

Damn, I was thinking this would be a great project for next winter. Then I went to the cortex site. I bet its killer and I hate struts but I just have a toy car. Its no race car.
15k.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
First off, awesome thread. I spent two days reading this whole thing and it has been quite a ride. I'm loving the info on the Cortex SLA. That's something I've been window shopping for a while. Unfortunately I don't need any S550 parts just yet, but I'd love to show some support and buy some of those shot glasses if you're still making them!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
First off, awesome thread. I spent two days reading this whole thing and it has been quite a ride. I'm loving the info on the Cortex SLA. That's something I've been window shopping for a while. Unfortunately I don't need any S550 parts just yet, but I'd love to show some support and buy some of those shot glasses if you're still making them!
Welcome aboard.
Going to be lots of posting during this race season so stay tuned!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Unfortunately I don't need any S550 parts just yet, but I'd love to show some support and buy some of those shot glasses if you're still making them!
Thank you, I'll keep you in mind if we do another batch.
It was a limited production run that I have revived twice....maybe we'll do another.
Thanks for the support!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Los Angeles
Damn, I was thinking this would be a great project for next winter. Then I went to the cortex site. I bet its killer and I hate struts but I just have a toy car. Its no race car.
View attachment 64618
Yeah, the setup with the aluminum spindles is not cheap! I did everything at once, the SLA, 4 Penske's and the cambered rear end, it was amazing that $24k of parts fit on one small pallet!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeah, the setup with the aluminum spindles is not cheap! I did everything at once, the SLA, 4 Penske's and the cambered rear end, it was amazing that $24k of parts fit on one small pallet!!
It’s Great stuff.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I'd venture to guess that the "entry level" SLA, as Cortex calls it, would not shave 90 pounds since it uses modified OEM spindles for OEM-style brakes. There's probably still some significant weight savings because of everything else though.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'd venture to guess that the "entry level" SLA, as Cortex calls it, would not shave 90 pounds since it uses modified OEM spindles for OEM-style brakes. There's probably still some significant weight savings because of everything else though.
There is not much difference in the aluminum spindles and stock spindles in weight.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
New mustang friends @Laguna Seca

CA1ABDF4-9D72-4148-97DF-B2B1C4CF131E.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So we’re fast qualifier in class and 4th over all.
starting in the second row tomorrow. Wish me luck.

1835EC51-1E75-47F1-966B-2CC97D74E47D.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
65419F1D-2018-4732-9FB1-D5AE8004C447.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type