The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Super fun to watch you get around the track. I couldnt help but notice, your tach needle didn't seem to move.
I had to order a special module for it to work with distributorless ignitions.
Using a speed calculator Im turning a little over 8k

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Oh I am in no way doubting the extremes you guys enjoy with your engines. My engine builder told me I'm good to 7500+. However the cam flattens out around 7K. So I shift between 6500 and 7000.
Mine pulls hard to 7550 and only tapers off slightly at 8k.
I need a gear change and then all will be right with the world.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Oh I am in no way doubting the extremes you guys enjoy with your engines. My engine builder told me I'm good to 7500+. However the cam flattens out around 7K. So I shift between 6500 and 7000.
I shift around 7500 but I need another 500 or so rpm to get me to the next corner on the whole back half of the track.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I had that problem down the back stretch at Road Atlanta. With 4.30's I was done half way down. Had I been able to turn it to 8K without worry, I could have gained a lot more speed and saved several seconds.
I didn't say it was without worry...just that Shaun said not to worry.....lol.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Updated Race 1 Video to better file. (Post #1780)

Race 2 to follow....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Race 2 (wet track-dry tires)

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Great Videos. I salute your bravery running to 8000 rpm with stock internals o_O. What are those magic oil mods again?
Really good pump, really good pan, really good crank scrapers and windage tray, boss 302 iron tensioners etc.
Each part picked specifically for a reason over similarly popular parts. There are plenty of pumps and pans etc. out there.These particular parts are exceptional and I/we felt were the best match for what I'm doing.
This is all in my build thread. I hold nothing back, you guys have seen everything I'm doing.
No "secret squirrel" stuff here. Now, lets see if it all continues to work like we think it should....this could all go to shiznit at any moment. 3:90 gears on on the horizon though, I'd like to keep my redline a little closer to 7500. That long ass run from turn 4 to 5 is stressful. I may actually have to start shifting to 4th.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eh...not sure if I included my pump in the list...it's this:

Then it was blue printed and clearance by JDM Engineering and assembled in a hyper clean room while wearing two masks and a condom....just to be safe..

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Another oil mod was simply plumbing the cooler up in -12 instead of the more common -10.
Its not one big thing that does it, its a bunch of little things working together. Details matter.
Also notice that it's not over heating despite the flak I got even here on TMO that an electric water pump wasn't going to "Flow enough" and 50 other reasons why it wont work.

To those I say:
"How do you like me now?".

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Sorry full of questions. What was your oil pressure with all the mods? I was a little worried that my pressure went down after all the mods (I missed that about the oil pump). Was that with that with the square 350/30-18 Hoosiers? What where your impressions of the handling and braking compared to the previous setup?? Very interested to see your take on the Cortex SLA setup.

Was great to see those stock cars struggle trying to pass you!

I forgot that you had the electric water pump. Makes me feel just a tad bit better about my dyno numbers.

TMO Supporting Vendors