The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Curious about what you thought of the RST2 Pagid pads. What wing angle did you use..? I went from 5 degrees to 3 degrees and thinking about 0 degrees for the next race. looks like we will not hit the track till next month 😔.
The brakes stop good. A little too much rear for my taste but that could be more about weight transfer than friction, so stay tuned on that one. I started at 1.8* AOA and went to 3.2 AOA on the wing and it definitely wasn't too much for the conditions we had. I also stiffened up the low speed on the front shocks and softened the high speed, dumped a bunch of rear spring rate and both stiffened and softened the rear shocks.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If I remember right, Pete, from trackday solutions recommended the RS56 for the rear pads. Think I have Gloc 12s on the back, With the TC off, you change them so little you tend to forget what you put.. or maybe its just age...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If I remember right, Pete, from trackday solutions recommended the RS56 for the rear pads. Think I have Gloc 12s on the back, With the TC off, you change them so little you tend to forget what you put.. or maybe its just age...
I have RSL 29 as recommended by Kohr.
If I can't dial up a good feeling setup I'll change friction material, but I'm still working with the chassis.
We get 1) 15 min practice session then its qualifying and race. Not a lot of time to make changes.

Ive got to say Fabman, its awesome your out there getting it done and already up to speed! Makes all those long days and nights building your Mustang all worth it when the results come in like they have. With your ABS issues solved, and your top of the line Brembos on the front, your a rear pad change away from have a killer brake set up. Im running the the G LOC R12's on the rear and have had good luck with them. See what you think, there is plenty of affordable rear pads to be had/ tryout. Fronts not so cheap. LOL

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Ive got to say Fabman, its awesome your out there getting it done and already up to speed! Makes all those long days and nights building your Mustang all worth it when the results come in like they have. With your ABS issues solved, and your top of the line Brembos on the front, your a rear pad change away from have a killer brake set up. Im running the the G LOC R12's on the rear and have had good luck with them. See what you think, there is plenty of affordable rear pads to be had/ tryout. Fronts not so cheap. Lol.
Thanks!
I love it when a plan comes together.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
this guy is persistent and consistent if nothing else
I agree. I couldn't do it. Converting a late model street car into a real race car consists of hundreds of details and tons of fab work and a wiring nightmare and on and on and on.

Awesome job Fabman. I'm very impressed. And that goes for every other real race car here, azboss, capt, the madman in chile, pae and others that I'm forgetting right now.

Theres a saying the goes something like .... Those who say it can't be done need to get out of the way of those doing it.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Theres a saying the goes something like .... Those who say it can't be done need to get out of the way of those doing it.

Agreed.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I agree. I couldn't do it. Converting a late model street car into a real race car consists of hundreds of details and tons of fab work and a wiring nightmare and on and on and on.

Awesome job Fabman. I'm very impressed. And that goes for every other real race car here, azboss, capt, the madman in chile, pae and others that I'm forgetting right now.

I literally could not have done it without @Albino500. He has been the one pushing me from the beginning. He’s had a hand in about every part of this build-not just electrical. My expertise is around 100% fabricated scratch built race cars. I knew almost nothing about mustangs. Right up until race day, he was the one who had to tell me where to pick up my trophy. I had no idea what was going on. Sure, I can build and drive and set up a RaceCar, but there is a whole lotta stuff I had to learn from him to get here. I told him last time he was here I didn’t know whether to kiss him or kick him for getting me into this mess.

I literally could not have done it without @Albino500. He has been the one pushing me from the beginning. He’s had a hand in about every part of this build-not just electrical. My expertise is around 100% fabricated scratch built race cars. I knew almost nothing about mustangs. Right up until race day, he was the one who had to tell me where to pick up my trophy. I had no idea what was going on. Sure, I can build and drive and set up a RaceCar, but there is a whole lotta stuff I had to learn from him to get here. I told him last time he was here I didn’t know whether to kiss him or kick him for getting me into this mess.
So....you want to go racing. I don't remember any pushing - just walking side by side. I will always remember the saying: "If it is possible, it has been done - if it is impossible, it will be done." Evel Knievel.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So....you want to go racing. I don't remember any pushing - just walking side by side. I will always remember the saying: "If it is possible, it has been done - if it is impossible, it will be done." Evel Knievel.
You used to come to the shop and make my street car into a track car piece by piece. We’d be working on jobs and you would be adding lightness to the car. You have always been a good motivator, and I thank you for that. Hell, you still come work on the car while we’re working on job stuff. I’m serious, I never would have gotten this far without you.

TMO Supporting Vendors