The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Sal. What was that about hanging back and having a points race?? Lol
I guess that was a good point race after all.

Well done.
@Albino500 said he didn’t come to watch me loose and if I was gonna drag my feet around the track he was going home. So, I ran at about 7/10’s and saved the equipment but kept a comfortable interval between myself and second place. Apparently, it worked out.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Inquiring minds want to see the latest clip of your tach's max RPM today... lol.
Funny you should ask...

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
:eek: Is that 9k max, or is it over 9k rpm but the needle is pegged. Maybe we shouldn't ask. 🙈

Did you ever fix the bouncing issue on the tach?

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
:eek: Is that 9k max, or is it over 9k rpm but the needle is pegged. Maybe we shouldn't ask. 🙈

The needle is pegged. I'm gonna need a bigger tach.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Its better, but still sucks. At least its usable. I mean, I look at it occasionally....like in the pits after the race. :biggrin:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
GULP#*! Ran 7/10th's my a**... ROFL.
No, really. I was shutting down way early and saving the brakes. There's just this one spot where I can't really shift up, it's only for a second but she does wind up pretty tight. All the other places I had been spinning it tight I have started hitting the next gear....which I hate, but I'd like to keep this motor alive at least till the end of the season.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Maybe something like this? :thumbsup:
1622433953103.png
Seriously though, if it's intentional, then fine. OTOH, you might look at getting a shift light that's obnoxiously large and bright. A guy I once crewed for used a large truck brake light as a shift light, mounted directly in front of him at the bottom of the windshield, because he said anything less wouldn't get his attention. Having done autocross for so long, where a run isn't long enough to worry about gauges, I have to constantly remind myself to check gauges on track.

There's just this one spot
Ahh, okay, nevermind then.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Maybe something like this? :thumbsup:
View attachment 65563
Seriously though, if it's intentional, then fine. OTOH, you might look at getting a shift light that's obnoxiously large and bright. A guy I once crewed for used a large truck brake light as a shift light, mounted directly in front of him at the bottom of the windshield, because he said anything less wouldn't get his attention. Having done autocross for so long, where a run isn't long enough to worry about gauges, I have to constantly remind myself to check gauges on track.
Its not that I don't see it. I have a nice bright blue shift light...what I need is two shift lights.
One that says redline! and one that says I'm not kidding, GTF off the gas RIGHT NOW!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The limiter is in your right foot..that's the one you control....or not...................all depends how you're sailing.........laddy..................bothers me that my left ankle got sprained...and the Boss didn't come with an automatic..........................

over 8000 rev limit??
and make sure you have a will in place for your loved ones..........................my Son is getting the Boss when I go but it will never see 8k while I'm breathing When I get to 6500 I'm having as much fun as I need......MH...enjoy your day and your RPM's...in which order you prefer....all tho I think I know the answer to that....................;);)

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors