The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
"downgraded" to a +470rwhp ge
That's still a lot better than my first car....a 1969 Toyota corolla with a 1100 CC engine...I guess it didn't qualify for a HP rating....that thing sounded like a sewing machine.....after that was my '68 442...talk about an upgrade!!!!!!!!....the only thing those 2 had in common was a 4 speed.........................and now I have that cute little Boss in the garage with a 6 speed that scared the heck out of me when I saw one for the first tyme in a new Vette that was being raffled off way back then...................four on the floor was my train of thought back then............old dogs CAN learn new tricks...............they just need a new bone once in a while....................don't let Galaxy and Peanut find out about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......those 70 lb Pitt Bulls are a handful, to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Jesus, we hit 100 pages in this build thread already....my how time flies and things change.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Just in case you aren't sick of my videos yet....here's the latest.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
As much as the tach bounces off throttle, I wonder if your 9K peaks are a false reading? Definitely rapping up when you’re holding those couple straights, but didn’t sound too crazy.
I used an online calculator to convert MPH to RPM in my first couple outings and I was in the 8K+ Neighborhood.
I have since upped the RPM with better drives off corners so 8700+ is plausible....in this video I was making use of 4th gear much more than before. I was staying in 3rd gear all the way from turn 2 to turn 11 before and now I'm only winding up 3rd between 5 and 6. I had a pretty sizable lead so I didn't need to stress the motor any more than necessary. I would much rather stay in 3rd but the RPM scares the crap outta me....I'm a little surprised its lasted this long.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The shift light comes on at 7950 and it stays lit for a loooong time......

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
As much as the tach bounces off throttle, I wonder if your 9K peaks are a false reading? Definitely rapping up when you’re holding those couple straights, but didn’t sound too crazy.
Here check this out....what do you think?
I would be thrilled if my rpm calc is wrong, the car behaves much better in 3rd than shifting up and down all the time.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The highest MPH I've seen in 3rd gear was 117 mph. see the math below:

rpm.JPG

Last few videos haven't had the mph feature turned on (I don't make the videos) so no telling where we are now, I just know its more.

In the V6L
Here check this out....what do you think?
I would be thrilled if my rpm calc is wrong, the car behaves much better in 3rd than shifting up and down all the time.

I think you're a brilliant driver but your tach hasn't got a clue what's happening. Great driving with your engine at idle.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I think you're a brilliant driver but your tach hasn't got a clue what's happening. Great driving with your engine at idle.
Hahaha, the tach wasn't hooked up until this last race and it's all bouncy so who knows what's right....I can only do the math MPH to RPM and go by what that says....and it seems to be very close to what the tach says....so.....wth?

TMO Supporting Vendors