The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
no need to go over 7500 as long as you got more gears to pull - JS - sometimes it's best to hide the sound from the driver...
Its a holdover from oval track....we don't shift. You gear the thing so it has its tongue hanging out at the end of the straightaway and learn that sound. When you go over it you gear the quick change up a notch or two. Also, my last three years involved a lot of racing with a bridge ported rotary with a red line of 10,200 rpm so that's kind of a hard habit to break.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Cool video! Was that Bimmer supercharged??
I don't know, I only saw the rear bumper and only for a few seconds. LOL.
The car is obviously light but it handles well and has a very good driver.
We told him on the grid that if I out powered him on the start that I would fall in behind him shortly after and follow since he was several seconds a lap faster....I kind of felt stupid when he snookerd me on the start and left me sitting there at the alter.

Slow in - fast out. You need to send in your revised brake budget proposal to HR - next race in less than 3 weeks. Sonoma is easier on brakes so you may want to run those rotors one more time - NOT!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Slow in - fast out. You need to send in your revised brake budget proposal to HR - next race in less than 3 weeks. Sonoma is easier on brakes so you may want to run those rotors one more time - NOT!
Good thing I bought new rotors/hats for this season and saved the old ones, we may have to use them @ Sonoma.
Not sure I can get new ones in time but I'm on it. I seriously can't believe these didn't explode and kill me.
I said a prayer on grid and told God that if I was going to go today this is how I wanted to do it, so I was prepared for the worst....and then I lived. Now I have to go back to work....
In the words of the infamous Rosanne Rosanna Danna: "if it ain't sompin' it's sompin' else".

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Redlines are RED for a reason........many of us know that for a fact........................now that it may be reason a little too late.....................to matter............My '69 Toyota Corolla had a redline at 5500....My Boss laughs at that.................
Redlines are like rules...meant to be broken. Motors though....are meant to stay together.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
what dates are the sonoma race? ill be back there end of the month. excited to be back out with the new design on the car

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
what dates are the sonoma race? ill be back there end of the month. excited to be back out with the new design on the car
The 18th is a HOD track day for testing if I decide to do that.

Ron McCall

Pantera1889
Sal,
Have you considered trying a slightly taller rear tire? ( 310/705-18) I ran 705s on my car and a switch to 680s was more of a gear change than I had expected. Might give you some slight adjustability without a rear gear change?
Or maybe try backing slightly off of the throttle to keep the revs at or below 8k ? I know it's hard for a racer to understand anything except for off throttle or full throttle but if you don't want to upshift and then immediately downshift, you can easily maintain the speed that the car is traveling at 8k instead of continuing to accelerate before the braking zone.
Just some thoughts.

Ron

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sal,
Have you considered trying a slightly taller rear tire? ( 310/705-18) I ran 705s on my car and a switch to 680s was more of a gear change than I had expected. Might give you some slight adjustability without a rear gear change?
Or maybe try backing slightly off of the throttle to keep the revs at or below 8k ? I know it's hard for a racer to understand anything except for off throttle or full throttle but if you don't want to upshift and then immediately downshift, you can easily maintain the speed that the car is traveling at 8k instead of continuing to accelerate before the braking zone.
Just some thoughts.

Ron
That’s what I’m doing, backing off slightly. I’ve decided to just keep the gear, shift up for all but turn 6 and just continue to back peddle that one. A taller tire would add rake to the car that I cannot adjust out without sacrificing shock travel and I’m short on that already. The next size Hoosier is 1.250 taller.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Some pix from this weekend368D953C-F373-4E06-A094-7601D05C4B36.jpeg0AA97CD6-C2C3-43EC-A329-C3E8BED483F4.jpegD08A1502-1DE8-4160-AF82-57D5F9D31721.jpegC4F98CD9-3C29-47B5-B4D3-F8CE2832C95B.jpegD985D2B0-B15F-4A98-9574-27A4F57CA1BC.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
4Q1A0532-2.jpg4Q1A8523.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
99598A50-B0FE-43CA-9519-E333E89F9BCE.jpeg1C79C1BD-9797-4ED9-B313-39B3FC999C22.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I think the head-on shot should be your new avatar pic. Looks great, with a hint of sinister.
Was just thinking the same thing.....I’ll get to that later. Thanks for pointing it out.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Speaking of avatars Dave... 😏
Guilt a guy into it, eh? Fine.
Unfortunately, the avatar size is too small to really show my favorite part - the tire sprayer. I did the graphic design and painted the sprayer yellow, and a friend with a vinyl cutter made the decal.
1623099852746.png
Replica Trans Am Boss stickers and number/class magnets from http://www.gochecker.com/boss-302-replica-decals

And now back to your regularly scheduled Fabman thread... Same Fab-time, same Fab-channel.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Guilt a guy into it, eh? Fine.
Unfortunately, the avatar size is too small to really show my favorite part - the tire sprayer. I did the graphic design and painted the sprayer yellow, and a friend with a vinyl cutter made the decal.
View attachment 65722
Replica Trans Am Boss stickers and number/class magnets from http://www.gochecker.com/boss-302-replica-decals

And now back to your regularly scheduled Fabman thread... Same Fab-time, same Fab-channel.
Its an instant classic!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors