The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Nice!! .. are those 3d printed?? Or something more terrestrial?

It even says trackspec!!!
It’s some kind of rubberized thingamagig.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I’m ready….

E9F55CE6-1293-41A3-A85A-F0BCFE5E7640.jpeg

Let’s go Brandon.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
I got lumped in ITE because of the blower.....now that I have a stock motor my aluminum dash eliminates me form every other class, so I'm stuck here.
I don’t see as many ITE races here in Michigan, but it looks like T1 is not an option for me unless I switch my Ford Racing Intake manifold for a stock Boss 302 version, if I’m reading the rules right? I’m also likely under 3400 pounds. Most other mods seem ok, any thoughts from the veteran w2w’s out there? I’m considering working on a scca novice permit next spring but want to make sure I can get into some regionals close by without reversing too much of what’s already been done o the car.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I don’t see as many ITE races here in Michigan, but it looks like T1 is not an option for me unless I switch my Ford Racing Intake manifold for a stock Boss 302 version, if I’m reading the rules right? I’m also likely under 3400 pounds. Most other mods seem ok, any thoughts from the veteran w2w’s out there? I’m considering working on a scca novice permit next spring but want to make sure I can get into some regionals close by without reversing too much of what’s already been done o the car.
ITE is a catch all class…..T1 has contingency's, ITE has nothing, but everything is legal.

sfo

For scca some classes are regional. For regional points. You can race a regional in other regions in your regional class. There are just less total regional races and no coordination between regions.

Some classes national. In a national class you can race anywhere, regionally in a regional race, nationally in your region's majors race or supertour race, at any other region's majors race or supertour race, at national annual Runoffs if you qualify by a formula of points and participation. Some cars can cross class but it is hard to optimize 1 car for 2 classes. Some can cross classes in totally different orgs like NASA st2 and scca t1 for even more options. So picking a class is important.

In my own case I never thought I would race out of California. Then I got to be one of the first amateurs to race at cota after the F1 debut. That lead to a chance to race all over the country. That lead to Runoffs and next racing in europe. It all started by chance building of my car for national class.

I'm sure other smarter posters will clean up the details of my post.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
All SCCA National classes also run SCCA Regional races. But not all Regional classes run National races. There are currently 26 classes for Nationals and roughly 40 classes for Regionals. The Improved Touring classes, ITA, ITB, etc are traditionally Regional only classes.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
9BA618D7-4E2D-4255-855A-238721BC01CA.jpegC17E1B6D-2E40-447E-8C92-CC90E37C3608.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Welp, the steering lived. That’s a welcome improvement.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
67F977CE-6625-4188-9C4D-11119F03B97F.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
2nd quick overall by a little over a 10th sec. That’s good for a front row start.

93C23E5B-F455-4128-8CF4-EDD5737C957E.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Now to nurse these tires through the main event.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
And there it is…..first in class and first overall.

00B33B5E-B48F-4E46-8116-5CE702F39580.png

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors