The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Congratulations, and great videos as always. Is there a way to reverse/flip the rearview insert video, so it works like a rearview mirror? I always find it a bit disconcerting when you pass a car on one side, and they show up on the other side in the rearview insert.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Congratulations, and great videos as always. Is there a way to reverse/flip the rearview insert video, so it works like a rearview mirror? I always find it a bit disconcerting when you pass a car on one side, and they show up on the other side in the rearview insert.
Yeah I feel the same. I’ll have to look into that.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Yeah I feel the same. I’ll have to look into that.
Nerd reporting in.

You can download something called ffmpeg, which is used to encode videos and whatnot. You could dump your rear camera's videos into a folder, and run a command line script to take the source videos and then put the flipped output into another folder.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Nerd reporting in.

You can download something called ffmpeg, which is used to encode videos and whatnot. You could dump your rear camera's videos into a folder, and run a command line script to take the source videos and then put the flipped output into another folder.

Sounds like a good job for my son to handle...

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
It's like electrical engineering, but instead of having a chip that does logic, you have code that does logic. The code takes the input video, and picture frame by picture frame, does a bit flip, and the output is the original video, just reversed. Best part is, if the program crashes, you don't get electrocuted, or have to buy a new motor*

* unless you have a GT350, where you probably have to.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
i too was confused by that comment
My son handles the Go Pros and enters the videos into Race Render, then he gives me the combined files and I do the editing and add text blocks etc.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Okay, here is Fridays Race on the 1.9 mile.
*First in class and first overall*

Keep an eye on that Camaro....

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Okay, here is Fridays Race. Keep an eye on that Camaro....

err.... do Camaros have special needs or something?? Don't they start in the grid like the rest of the cars?? or did I miss something? looks like your catch can was getting full at the end?

That was fun to watch!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
err.... do Camaros have special needs or something?? Don't they start in the grid like the rest of the cars?? or did I miss something? looks like your catch can was getting full at the end?

That was fun to watch!
When he bounced off of me it bent my splitter into the tire so when I was going straight it rubbed and when I turned the smoke went away.
After the race I just straightened my splitter and it was good as new. Had that been any other material it would have been destroyed and the Camaro would have been into my suspension and body work ending my weekend.
Plus, it ripped the valve spring out of his wheel causing the spin so he kind of got what he deserved.
A distinct advantage for aluminum.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

That was fun to watch!
Oh, just an FYI the GT500 valve covers completely cured the blow by problem. I didn't loose a teaspoon of oil in 6 race days plus a practice day.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
One more FYI;
The new Brembo rotors lasted only 2 race weekends and cracked.
The second set that I bought and had cryogenic-ally frozen have lasted the whole season and still look great.
I am still on the same set of pads I started the year with, so that's good news too.

TMO Supporting Vendors