The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
I cringe when I hear you speak of selling your car. I get it, but it still hurts me. I'm going on record and wishing you the best in whatever you take on, and I know that you won't stop until you are the best at whatever that is.

But... please don't sell. Hang out here on TMO so we can be entertained and learn at the same time.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Saturdays race on the 3 mile track @ Thunderhill
*First in class and 3rd overall*

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sundays race #3. Video coming coming soon.

61AB3C9B-1FAB-40A3-95DA-E9BB742E9724.png9CB919EE-ADC7-46F1-A300-93A50EC6C5DE.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
thunderhill-21.jpgthunderhill-12.jpgthunderhill-2.jpgcolor-10.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last race of the year.
Fast qualifier, first in class and first overall.
*Championship secured*

**Note the TMO shirt in the podium picture**

(The FP350 jumped the start, but even that could not save him)

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
And in color….

51EB06CD-9190-456E-90E2-028CCA10586B.jpeg

Oh, just an FYI the GT500 valve covers completely cured the blow by problem. I didn't loose a teaspoon of oil in 6 race days plus a practice day.
Fabman....love following your adventures and build. If you want more door to door racing with a spec series budget and lots of competition, have you thought about Spec Corvette? I know it's not a Mustang but the fun factor looks big.

You can get into a complete race car for $20k to $30k.....Spec tires, brakes and suspension with stock motors keeps the costs down.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Fabman....love following your adventures and build. If you want more door to door racing with a spec series budget and lots of competition, have you thought about Spec Corvette? I know it's not a Mustang but the fun factor looks big.

You can get into a complete race car for $20k to $30k.....Spec tires, brakes and suspension with stock motors keeps the costs down.
I only race what I build, that's the whole point of it for me, and a corvette is not a ford so is not on my radar at all, but thanks for the tip! :)

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
@Fabman and a select few are gonna build a little car to do endurance racing now, but dont tell Sal, he doesnt know that yet

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
sfo
Tony who spins in the orange car @ 13:47 is driving my old corvette. I ran that car in SCCA T1 and T2 starting about mid-2000. Many of those guys are my SCCA brothers. Spec Vette is a hugely growing series. I only got out of the C5 vette because it was getting harder to get parts when I was racing around the country. Once I could not find a steering rack anywhere within 250 miles of Austin Tx. when I broke the rack before qualy at CoTA. I ended up buying a welder and fixing my rack on jackstands with the balls of molton metal spatter raining on me. I was pissed no qualy time started around 40th finished around 15th got about 1/2 way up my class. It was fun!

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I'm thinking the $20-30k is the pre-Covid prices. Had a yapping with Terry Fair about it the other day. If you're building to be competitive for something like NASA xT2 / SCCA T-2, you'll probably be slowing down a bit, I ran with them down here at ACS and was 3-5 seconds faster. That said, I guess it's probably the fastest Spec series there is right now.

sfo
It is the close racing that makes things fun. That’s why spec Miata is so popular. It is tough to run ite or an open class. There is always someone with a bigger wing or more horsepower. Old quote… How fast do you want to go? How much money do you have?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
It is the close racing that makes things fun. That’s why spec Miata is so popular. It is tough to run ite or an open class. There is always someone with a bigger wing or more horsepower. Old quote… How fast do you want to go? How much money do you have?
I prefer the open classes even though my car is woefully underbuilt for the class.
I don't like a lot of rules and road racing is king of stupid rules so here I don't have to abide by them.

We have only 3 rules.
1) Must be DOT tires (hoosier)
2) must start out as a stock tub body.
3) must meet basic safety guidelines.

That's it.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years