The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
^^^ yeah thats still mostly true.

The other line that I always liked is....

Whats the difference between Nascar and SCCA?

Nascar fans know all the drivers names and
SCCA drivers know all the fans names

What happened to the American Iron series?
I originally built my car to compete in AIX but there were virtually no cars left so I went SCCA.
AIX is making a comeback in Norcal.. 2 cars ran in late 2021 (a Javelin and an S197 Mustang) and there are supposed to be 1 or 2 more in 2022.... another Mustang or 2.

With Nationals at Laguna I think you'll see some cars come out of hibernation. :)

When I put the Cortex cambered rear in my 3V S197 with the 3-link (I don't like the way the torque arm drives) I saw a 2 second drop from a 1:59 lap time at Buttonwillow by the end of my first day. I have gotten that down a little more over the past year. The biggest gain I have seen with the cambered rear and the SLA front is that the car is still fast at the end of the race, the tires are much happier and you don't end up beating them up/overheating them mid-race like with the struts and straight axle.

With American Iron being dead in California I may need to get some Hoosiers for my 3V and make the trip up to Laguna with SCCA this year. NASA Nationals is going to be there, so could use the practice for when everyone shows up.

Can you run a Lexan windshield in ITE?

Can you easily get your car to AIX and run that in 2022? What are the details on it?
Cheers

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
AIX is making a comeback in Norcal.. 2 cars ran in late 2021 (a Javelin and an S197 Mustang) and there are supposed to be 1 or 2 more in 2022.... another Mustang or 2.

With Nationals at Laguna I think you'll see some cars come out of hibernation. :)
There are some awesome fast cars out there...disappointing we haven't seen much of them in the last few years. Hopefully 2022 will be the beginning of a comeback....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Can you easily get your car to AIX and run that in 2022? What are the details on it?
Cheers
What would it take to run the Nationals?
Is it a point thing or just a certain number of NASA races to qualify or what?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I have been told 5 races and that can even include 1 of those being a TT group. So conceivably you can run 2 weekends (2 races and 1 TT event) and be qualified for nationals. The AIX director told me that recently.
You should do it.
Oh I'm probably not nearly fast enough....I'm still on a stock motor.

Oh I'm probably not nearly fast enough....I'm still on a stock motor.
Stop it. I've seen your times. They're plenty good enough. And I just read a post of yours saying it's more about the suspension and the nut behind the wheel. :D

Make AIX Great Again. Your car is awesome. I've been wanting to run AIX for almost 10 years. I hope this is the year I can.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Stop it. I've seen your times. They're plenty good enough. And I just read a post of yours saying it's more about the suspension and the nut behind the wheel. :D

Make AIX Great Again. Your car is awesome. I've been wanting to run AIX for almost 10 years. I hope this is the year I can.
How can I refuse?
Let me see if I can somehow get 5 NASA runs in....they are almost all at Sonoma this year...I'm gonna have to think about this, but think I will.

How can I refuse?
Let me see if I can somehow get 5 NASA runs in....they are almost all at Sonoma this year...I'm gonna have to think about this, but think I will.
Yep! I actually was going to go your IG or here and message you about this and I see you guys were just discussing it recent. Perfect timing.
My goal is to do my rookie race at Sonoma in March. We shall see.... Hope to see you there soon!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yep! I actually was going to go your IG or here and message you about this and I see you guys were just discussing it recent. Perfect timing.
My goal is to do my rookie race at Sonoma in March. We shall see.... Hope to see you there soon!
in NASA or SCCA?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NASA. I have my comp eval at Thunderhill in Feb and if I pass that I can race in March at Sonoma.
You should come run some SCCA ITE events, your car fits.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Aaaaannnnnd….here we go Again.

E9009A82-60DA-40F6-8779-AAE7651E70B6.jpeg300BBBC9-3F6B-4D6D-8440-D483A8DEB05F.jpegF239500A-668E-467B-B28C-9C7DDA23EBD2.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Looked at the rules, with a 5-1 power/weight ratio I could make 730 average wheel hp.
Like that's gonna happen. :mad:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors