The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
my clothes yesterday while we ate food said otherwise lol
I didn't mean you didn't get dirty, just that I was busy getting dirty while you were taking pictures.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sal, An idle mind can lead to mischief.......You need these undertakings to keep you out of trouble....not to mention stay competitive.............:thumbsup:
Oh I have plenty to keep me busy....this is just an inconvenient necessity.
That motor came out of a junk yard, I'm surprised it took everything I gave it in 2021, I can't expect to do it again in 2022. These gen 2 heads etc. are getting very hard to find and I can't afford to destroy anything, so it's just smart to do some preventive maintenance. Shaun at AED is going to put together one of his famous "Budget short blocks" for me. Basically an all stock bottom end, very carefully assembled with some AED magic. ZERO aftermarket or "hotrod" parts. We'll re-use my trick oil pump, scrapers, windage tray, pan etc. While its apart we'll go through the heads and clean everything up, check/replace valves/valve springs with stock pieces etc....it will still be an all stock no frills motor but will at least be a fresh all stock no frills motor. Hoping for at least a little performance bump due to freshness but not expecting anything wild. If anybody is disappointed by this news feel free to send donations to my paypal: [email protected] and I'll buy something racey with it. lol.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Okay, these pads and rotors lasted all racing season plus a few test days, so cryogenic freezing the rotors along with the Pagid RXT 2 pads are a winning combination for me.

EE0CF295-2F43-44DA-82F4-8D96CB6FD974.jpeg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just got to love Pagid pads.... You can clearly see that the pads will out last the disc, but happy to hear that the cryo treatment gave the discs a longer life. How many hours of track time did that setup have?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Just got to love Pagid pads.... You can clearly see that the pads will out last the disc, but happy to hear that the cryo treatment gave the discs a longer life. How many hours of track time did that setup have?
I didn’t count hours, but basically every waking coyote moment.
12 race days and 5 test days.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
cryo treated rotors are always a good choice. i ran them when i was using my old cobra rotors

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thats pretty amazing pad and disc life then. Assuming at something around 15 hours of track time? I get 7 to 9 hours on my pagids, must be your 4" cooling ducts!
Probably more like 20+ hrs.
Keeping them cool is a big-big deal so super efficient 4" ducts are a major factor here for sure.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
For those of you who refused to believe: (you know who you are)
Here is my killer high dollar stroker motor exposed.
Now you know.

This motor literally came out of a junkyard.
I turned it 8k plus all year. We didn't even rebuild it before I put it in the car, just a good pan/pump/crank scrapers to make it live. Now its going to AED to get rings/bearings/valve springs etc.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ha!! There is that magic word!! Crankscraper! My motor will still be with Shaun when yours gets to the shop, so give it a pat on the heads for me as it gets reay to ship out..

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Ha!! There is that magic word!! Crankscraper! My motor will still be with Shaun when yours gets to the shop, so give it a pat on the heads for me as it gets reay to ship out..
Pic in your inbox

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
E67D5E2F-63F6-4F58-8086-B170FC9F1A31.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type