The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Specfab racing 4” Brake ducts

B62B4B7F-6E29-4354-BD6B-39200DF56416.jpeg9A691DAF-02C8-4991-8CCF-7D173A8B22B2.jpeg7F30F354-C6E4-4847-B45C-508FAE0A6CB2.jpeg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Another fantastic detail job by Aggie Mount of Diamond auto detail.
Now I have to take this to the track and get it filthy. 😞

534369B4-4F0B-4E5D-9DA8-1E3633AE5FBF.jpeg

But first….DYNO TOMORROW!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Dyno time with the magician @ AED tuning.

E4F5AD11-5F21-4597-A08F-D53089C122CA.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
507/414 on Shaun’s dyno. That’s 31 hp and 17 # torque across the board. Still not bad for an all stock motor.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

I don’t understand why the video is marked private.
Is anybody able to view this?

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
507/414 on Shaun’s dyno. That’s 31 hp and 17 # torque across the board. Still not bad for an all stock motor.
Between you and @Mad Hatter this is ri-@#$%ing-diculous...in a good way. I think you guys have found the secret sauce for these motors for power and longevity. With the trials you have put up with this feels like the whole project is reborn. You look at older GT500s making 500-something horsepower but having to keep up with cooling and even the first GT350s, you guys seem to have discovered the perfect balance. This is awesome.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yes, this is definitely Shaun’s build plan.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Power is up all across the curve.

2022-05-20_092735.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Wow! All the secret sauce really makes that sucker come alive past 5500. What I'm seeing that I think is extremely impressive is how it gets to and how long it holds a flat high hp power band. Darn near 2000 rpm! Most dyno sheets I've seen are diagonal to the top then drops off a peak rpm. Yours is nothing like that. There's some magic in that engine and tuning.
Indeed.
AED tuning for the win. 😉

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Thought I would add this for anyone considering upgrades and target whp numbers. It’s amazing the HP to be had with intake mods. You’re 79 whp higher than I was on the same dyno. Shaun thought I was giving up a bit with the heavier rotating assembly of the built short block vs stock Gen3. But the real magic is the combination of the worked Gen2 heads, intake cams, CJ manifold and CAI, vs. my Gen1 heads, stock cams, Boss 302 intake and stock air box.

To @KazarS197 ‘s point, the “art of the tune” must have something to do with the flat power curve - mine is very similarly flat from 6k-8K.

C48303A6-5B32-47AE-A861-D0AC5ADF29E6.png

Thought I would add this for anyone considering upgrades and target whp numbers. It’s amazing the HP to be had with intake mods. You’re 79 whp higher than I was on the same dyno. Shaun thought I was giving up a bit with the heavier rotating assembly of the built short block vs stock Gen3. But the real magic is the combination of the worked Gen2 heads, intake cams, CJ manifold and CAI, vs. my Gen1 heads, stock cams, Boss 302 intake and stock air box.

To @KazarS197 ‘s point, the “art of the tune” must have something to do with the flat power curve - mine is very similarly flat from 6k-8K.

View attachment 76045
Power is up all across the curve.

View attachment 76029
Question please. I watched my pulls on the dyno and seem like they took so much longer than many others I have seen. ( Mustang Dyno) I have decent numbers @ 424 and 383 on 92 for basically bolt ons. Not sure if my intake is ported. Was on E85 but "detuned" due to track and location availability. I can't figure out the why my pulls are longer. I told him to give me a safe tune the whole way through the curve and don't lean me out just to show better numbers. Did my tuner put a different load on the dyno so he could look at things closer - kinda like a slow motion data so he could make more specific adjustments. It would be cool to see a dyno thread from independent tuners, not to disclose secrets but for the rational to reach a goal of a tune. - preferably track specific. My stuff is in my build thread. Sorry for the derail.

Question please. I watched my pulls on the dyno and seem like they took so much longer than many others I have seen. ( Mustang Dyno) I have decent numbers @ 424 and 383 on 92 for basically bolt ons. Not sure if my intake is ported. Was on E85 but "detuned" due to track and location availability. I can't figure out the why my pulls are longer. I told him to give me a safe tune the whole way through the curve and don't lean me out just to show better numbers. Did my tuner put a different load on the dyno so he could look at things closer - kinda like a slow motion data so he could make more specific adjustments. It would be cool to see a dyno thread from independent tuners, not to disclose secrets but for the rational to reach a goal of a tune. - preferably track specific. My stuff is in my build thread. Sorry for the derail.

assuming same gear and rear end ratio to the other pulls you’re comparing your to?

also mustang dynos always read lower than dynojets so maybe the load they put on the car is greater as you suggest.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors