The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That opens up a ton of possibilities for that guy. It contains the entire front suspension, correct? You could just clip it then.
Either strut front or SLA front is available.
It bolts to the same mounting points as stock....providing the frame horns are still there.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last session of the day:
I ran sans passenger to try and get a feel for what the car could do on old tires.
After being spanked for passing cars in the last session (WTH?) I had to be super conservative, but those suckers were in the way everywhere, so no personal best was to be had on this day.
I actually ran faster in the last session but then....I was passing cars and apparently, "Passing = Bad".
I even ducked into pit lane to get some room in front of me but nope...caught right back up to the pack.
No more HPDE for me.1f641.png Now if I could just keep the front tires from locking up that would be great....

Last session of the day:
I ran sans passenger to try and get a feel for what the car could do on old tires.
After being spanked for passing cars in the last session (WTH?) I had to be super conservative, but those suckers were in the way everywhere, so no personal best was to be had on this day.
I actually ran faster in the last session but then....I was passing cars and apparently, "Passing = Bad".
I even ducked into pit lane to get some room in front of me but nope...caught right back up to the pack.
No more HPDE for me.View attachment 76180 Now if I could just keep the front tires from locking up that would be great....

That's crap. It should have been the complete opposite and all the others should have been blue flagged to get out of the way.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That's crap. It should have been the complete opposite and all the others should have been blue flagged to get out of the way.
I was told that I was passing them by so fast it was scaring them….it was like driving through parked cars.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
@Albino500 and I got some work done today.
While I was busy making new oil lines, Kevin was cutting up my hood for the new custom cut "Frankenstang Signature Series" Race Louvers that @302blown made for me.

The new @AJ Hartman Carbon Fiber splitter and tunnel set up required moving an oil line from a rear entry to a front entry and then a little hose re routing got the job done nicely.
IMG_4353.jpg
IMG_4633.jpg
IMG_4634.jpg

The new Race louvers look sweet as does the Carbon fiber splitter.

IMG_4627.jpg
IMG_4636.jpg
IMG_4637.jpg
IMG_4638.jpg
IMG_4639.jpgIMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg
IMG_4642.jpg
IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

I like that the hood louvers match the fender louvers.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I like those hood grills!! Curious to see how it works for engine temps.
They will flow significantly more than what I had on there before.
I'm mainly looking for downforce but since the flow through the radiator will be so much greater I will be able to reduce the size of my grill opening to both reduce drag and increase down force. Win-Win.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
1653930792127.png
Just thinking about belt-and-suspenders here, you may want to slit some rubber fuel/vacuum line and put it on the outer lip of that diffuser (with a little dab of silicone caulk to hold it) to avoid the brake duct and maybe oil line from rubbing through from contact on the carbon fiber edge.
For the oil line, the other option is to make a bracket off the swaybar mount for an Adel clamp to hold it out of the way.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
View attachment 76227
Just thinking about belt-and-suspenders here, you may want to slit some rubber fuel/vacuum line and put it on the outer lip of that diffuser (with a little dab of silicone caulk to hold it) to avoid the brake duct and maybe oil line from rubbing through from contact on the carbon fiber edge.
For the oil line, the other option is to make a bracket off the swaybar mount for an Adel clamp to hold it out of the way.
There is a section of reinforced PVC hose (not shown) that slides over the oil line there. The 335 Hoosiers will chew up that 4” dia. Cooling duct long before the tunnel will.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
You can see in this pic why the oil line needed to be re routed..also, you can see how the brake duct is connected to and supported by a hard line right above the tunnel so it not actually laying on it.

3F5A36E7-9AB9-4748-82A9-3442C6C3727B.png

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
if people are that scared about being passed on a race track, then they shouldn't be on the track in the higher groups pre race classes. just saying

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
if people are that scared about being passed on a race track, then they shouldn't be on the track in the higher groups pre race classes. just saying
I did a Track Night at NOLA. Another driver complained about me because I was on their bumper for "Two Laps" awaiting a point by. I had the video. Ignoring someone behind you for two laps was OK. Getting in someone's mirrors so they will see you, not OK. Have not been back to a Track Night since.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
if you cant read the flags, then why is it not your fault when i want to pass and make a clean pass? eh, whatever. noobs. lol

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Agreed, but unfortunately nobody cares what I think so....have to go with the flow.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here's a close up shot of how the Brake duct is connected to and supported by that aluminum tube. Any contact between the hose and tunnel are incidental.
Like I said, the tires will wear through the hose before the tunnel does.

IMG_4353.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors