The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Most of the time, I have found that people at the track are friendly and helpful bunch. But, you will always have some asshats. Dont mind them, the track people will laugh at him and that's probably what bugs him the most.
What happens, is that people shoot their mouths off about their version of an incident, or what they heard about an incident and before you know it, it becomes common knowledge because so many people spread the rumor around that truth and facts are out the window, no-one wants to admit that what they believed and spread around is false....just like Social media....don't believe me? Look at the current climate of our Political system.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Most of the time, I have found that people at the track are friendly and helpful bunch. But, you will always have some asshats. Dont mind them, the track people will laugh at him and that's probably what bugs him the most.
Last night I heard from a guy who was in one of the garages and over heard two guys talking about how rough of a driver I am and that the officials were going to dock my comp license 2 points for that incident for which I was apparently found guilty.....even though I wasn't. This is like friggin' high school. You can't make this sh!t up.

Last night I heard from a guy who was in one of the garages and over heard two guys talking about how rough of a driver I am and that the officials were going to dock my comp license 2 points for that incident for which I was apparently found guilty.....even though I wasn't. This is like friggin' high school. You can't make this sh!t up.

Well as long as you still hang around TMO and share your experiences here, we sure could use some more dirt track content...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well as long as you still hang around TMO and share your experiences here, we sure could use some more dirt track content...
Not sure what you mean by dirt track content...if you are referring to my stock car career I was an asphalt driver.

Not sure what you mean by dirt track content...if you are referring to my stock car career I was an asphalt driver.

Ah sorry I thought it was dirt track. I was referring to your prior comments about not knowing if you will stick with road course stuff since there are so many whiners and the cost is so high relative to stock cars and associated prizes there.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thats sucks,... know how you feel.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Ah sorry I thought it was dirt track. I was referring to your prior comments about not knowing if you will stick with road course stuff since there are so many whiners and the cost is so high relative to stock cars and associated prizes there.
No, this will be my second retirement from Racing....I'm too old to build anymore new race cars. I need to think about saving some money so I can afford to move out of this state.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
There's whiners in every sport....this one just pays the least.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
This guy wasn't very happy...he blamed me for spinning out and catching the field on fire.
Pretty sure I had the line, eh?

That was a quick spin. It looks more like the rears locked and spun him around. He probably should be having a look at his brakes. That was not your fault and you had a nice line there.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That was a quick spin. It looks more like the rears locked and spun him around. He probably should be having a look at his brakes. That was not your fault and you had a nice line there.
He was bitching about his brake bias at lunch, saying he wore out a new set of front pads in one day. I told him to start cranking the bias knob 1 turn at a time until it was too much rear then back off one turn. He said he would try it on the front straight and I told him not to, try it on the slower corners where the hazzard is low...guess he only listened to part of that.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
He made it sound like:

Passing.PNG

What a thread. thank you for sharing the journey and your beautiful car with us, Fabman. Fun to relive those tracks too (I raced motorcycles in the Bay for a couple years)

I just sold a car and bought a modified 17 GT to finish building and race here in the Florida region. Learned a lot about what to pay attention to in this thread; wish I could come push a broom in your shop go learn more.

What a thread. thank you for sharing the journey and your beautiful car with us, Fabman. Fun to relive those tracks too (I raced motorcycles in the Bay for a couple years)

I just sold a car and bought a modified 17 GT to finish building and race here in the Florida region. Learned a lot about what to pay attention to in this thread; wish I could come push a broom in your shop go learn more.
Florida?...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Wait, what?

8B319A0D-31D1-4A12-8552-7034691580B4.jpeg

Somebody’s moonlighting as a NASA driver. :rolleyes:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So upon further review of the video of Mario, it seems like he fired it in there and couldn't get it stopped, his rear brake bias did the rest. No harm, no foul, I could sleep at night knowing it was all on him.
Pretty much what I thought too but then….I was blocking him….right?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Add this - he spun out 2 turns latter because and I quote him "I lost the brake pedal - it went to the floor" and no one was around him at that time...
Somebody needs to have a talk with that boy.

TMO Supporting Vendors