The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Factory Cold Air Intake Heat Wrap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone wrapped their factory cold air intake with this heat resistant foil? If so, could you please respond with some photos of your install and how much you needed to complete the installation.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1838

I bought tape months ago to do this. I just haven't got around to it. I got the idea from a Viper Forum. I see one potential advantage. If you keep the air temp ambient when launching at the drag strip, timing might not be pulled out. I don't think there's any reason to do it for road racing because the temp is always near ambient when the car is moving.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Did it on my GT with 'silver' colored foil. More pics here:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7711

14126857774_00c27fcd17_z.jpg

seca954 said:
I bought tape months ago to do this. I just haven't got around to it. I got the idea from a Viper Forum. I see one potential advantage. If you keep the air temp ambient when launching at the drag strip, timing might not be pulled out. I don't think there's any reason to do it for road racing because the temp is always near ambient when the car is moving.

I don't know for sure that it works on track, but popping the hood after a session on a hot day the under hood heat is almost unbearable. That's also with with an oil to air cooler...and all that heat ends up going through the engine bay.

I actually burnt my ear a little on a Redline hood strut...yea it gets friggin hot in there! The sunburn I got that day evened it out, lol. I am not sure why the heat wrap the Grand Am teams used is gold in color. From a pure engineering standpoint (which can sometimes fall apart in real world application): Whatever reflects the most infra-red (radiated) heat is best if it is just a thin tape. If it has a layer of insulation as well then that would help insulate it from the heat of the air (conductive) in the engine bay. I think the IR is the biggest issue to worry about with a stock black plastic intake assembly in a moving car. Once you are stationary the ambient air temp in the bay would of course shoot way up.

I am wondering if anyone has done a same-day comparison of intake temps with stock, then the intake wrap, and then exhaust manifold wrap... Those temp numbers would be interesting to see.

TMO Supporting Vendors