The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Factory Five Daytona Coupe VS keeping Boss. On the fence.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So FF has recently come out with a new 3rd gen design of their Daytona Coupe. The only car sexier, in my opinion, is the GT40. Anyone here have experience with one of these on the street and/or track? How do they compare? I would plan on splitting my commute between this and the FiST. I had met Dave a looong time ago but never got to check out any of his cars.

A1-CAM10122.jpg

Boss:
-Long commute, so adding miles fast and losing value on a "collectible". I am driving it less than once a week now... So I feel like a Corvette owner wasting a good car... 17k miles right now. Not sure I am getting what I should out of it.
-Nervous about wrenching on it. Scratches, mistakes, etc...
-Stress about parking, road rash, etc.
-Nervous tracking it due to value.
+It's comfortable, seats 4. A/C. Nothing needed.
+paid off
- Less? safe than Coupe when on track? No extra safety gear added yet. If I install the Watson bar I purchased I lose back seat.

Daytona (non-R complete kit)
+Wife tentatively approves!
+mileage not a big deal. Original drive train is not a value problem like in the Boss. Seem to hold value VERY well.
+Faster, scarier. Unique. Never seen one in person.
- Kids won't fit, but they would probably not remember car rides until old enough to sit in the front seat of the coupe anyways.
- Will cost more than the Boss is valued at right now. Maybe $40k to build with a new 306 fuel injected (high 300hp IIRC) instead of Coyote. A Coyote would be bonkers. Or maybe 30k if using a Mustang donor drivetrain just to get started. Could always upgrade later.
+Narrower and would fit in garage better
+I love building things
+Wrenching would be more care-free and I would be confident knowing every nook and cranny after building it from parts.
+less stress since I could easily replace panels and do a wrap instead of paint. Easy to patch or replace in the winter.
+full cage for tracking.
+I love the rawness. I find myself just a bit bored in my Fiesta ST after running the Lemons Prelude which rattles, shakes, shimmies, has manual steering.
-hassle of selling Boss.
-TIME not spent cleaning basement, fixing house. But none of that is urgent.
+An actually productive after-work de-stresser instead of playing video games.

You have your arguments laid out well. If you have not driven one try to. The driving dynamics may not be what you think. While I love old cars I prefer the driving dynamics of modern cars.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have always liked those and the Daytona would definitely be more of a neck-snapper. I'd also imagine it will be significantly less forgiving if you hang it out there.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have been battling this question in my mind since factory five came out with the coupe..... In the end, went with the Boss as it was easier to leave street legal down here in Chile..... But with the new Coupe version R, the temptation has returned...... then again,... I have no misconceptions about my driving...... Boss must be way easier to drive. Have several tire wall adventures and in the Coupe they would have been at higher speeds....... (that and I love ABS)

TMO Supporting Vendors