The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Factory tranny Fluid - what color is it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drano38

Wayne
What color is the factory tranny fluid?
I took the Boss to a small independent repair shop today for a BMW event inspection (required), and the guy said my tranny fluid is an amber color, and wasn't sure what color it should be. He said some red tranny fluids turn amber when they are bad. And he admitted he wasn't familiar with all the Ford fluid colors.
So I called the Ford dealer--figured they'd be able to tell me what color it should be--Nope ???
He said bring it in and they will check it, and possibly swap it (under warranty) if its bad at 7,800 miles.
Good news is I could get free Dual Clutch fluid with TSB 11-3-18.
But how often should we change the tranny fluid if we track the Boss? Rear diff fluid is 12 track hours per the Boss supplement. If my factory fluid is still good, I'd like to kick the TSB down the road to get the TSB done at a more optimal change interval.

drano38 said:
What color is the factory tranny fluid?
I took the Boss to a small independent repair shop today for a BMW event inspection (required), and the guy said my tranny fluid is an amber color, and wasn't sure what color it should be. He said some red tranny fluids turn amber when they are bad. And he admitted he wasn't familiar with all the Ford fluid colors.
So I called the Ford dealer--figured they'd be able to tell me what color it should be--Nope ???
He said bring it in and they will check it, and possibly swap it (under warranty) if its bad at 7,800 miles.
Good news is I could get free Dual Clutch fluid with TSB 11-3-18.
But how often should we change the tranny fluid if we track the Boss? Rear diff fluid is 12 track hours per the Boss supplement. If my factory fluid is still good, I'd like to kick the TSB down the road to get the TSB done at a more optimal change interval.
I changed mine in November after a full season. After talking to a few people who should know, once a year with several track events is adequate. However if I keep up at my current pace I might do it twice this year.

drano38

Wayne
Thanks Gary.

So is amber the factory fluid color? I'm pretty sure I haven't cooked it after 7 track days.

And the tech said the fluid level was good.

drano38 said:
Thanks Gary.

So is amber the factory fluid color? I'm pretty sure I haven't cooked it after 7 track days.

And the tech said the fluid level was good.
Sorry not sure since I had the dealer do it while it was in there for the hood. You should be just fine though based on your mileage and only 7 track days. You have the cooling scoop right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel