The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Failing rear end bearing? ring and pinion work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
So when I first switched to Michelin slicks at VIR in December, I noticed rolling off fight corners that it was tricky to get power down for a few laps - the roms would jump but you didnt really hear or feel wheel spin (not in my sound muffled helmet anyway) but the issue seemed to go away after a few laps and I attributed this to cold race slick problems as the ambient temps were 40-50 degrees.

I had the same issue at Roebling this past weekend, in the same type of corners.

However, on the drive home, I noticed what I thought was a pinion bearing noise. The car makes a whirring sound under acceleration from about 20 to 60 mph, and it goes away immediately after taking your foot off the gas

In either event, I need. left side axle seal... but it hasn't leaked so much that it would be from low fluid...

So are Torsens known to fail? I thought they just snapped if they broke... or could this all be a bad wheel bearing?

the sound doesnt change if you lean the car on one side or the other. the gas pedal is the determining factor.

Last edited:
Let me try my way back machine..
I think pinion bearing noise goes away on deceleration. In any case, the fact that there is any noise is cause for pulling the cover. These cars use axles that double as the bearing race ( think GM 12 bolt, not Ford 9inch) and with that axle seal leak, you may have your answer.
Before you pull it down, throw some sand under the rear tires and do a mild burnout and see if both black stripes are the same length.

The axle is a race. If thats the problem, does that mean I need to replace the axle?
I've had them fail with 20K miles. When you pull the axle to change the bearing, put a straightedge on the axle bearing area and see if it is level. If it is level and not pitted, then send it, pits or dips, then change it out.

Screenshot_20230115-222126_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
mKay... so I dropped my trailer and drove to my parents house and couldnt do a good burnout... I used some dirt at my parents and it made two nice paths...

I was getting ready to tear it down and realized the problem wasnt a wheel sealz but its blown out of the axle vent... i ised a wire tie and its still mostly full (the diff)... and get this, its not NEARLY as noisy.... the rear end always had some whine and its basically what it normally had been.

could it have been my street pads rubbing the race pad varnish back off the rotors? I've never quite heard it like this...

maybe my trailer has a bad bearing? thats my dads idea.... it got hot going to georgia and "went bad" when it cools.

FWIW, the 8.8 is a " noisy " diff, more so thant the pumpkin style. That sound seems a bit abnormal though. Are you using the correct weight diff lube?
Whatever it is, it doesn't sound like it will catastrophically fail. More like an " I'll whine until it drives you insane" kind of noise.

I have a fondness for Lucas oil products, not sure what they recomend. Virtually every person I know that runs one of these has issues with the venting... yes, I would recommend a finned cover, preferably one with the girdle,but they may not clear your PHB.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel