The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Fair price for entire Boss interior?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My 13 Boss is too far gone to ever go back to a street car so I was thinking of selling all the parts that are clogging up my garage attic. I have seen Recaro seats going for 2K a set but I don't know if there is value in all the other interior bits. Anyone see a similar sale or have an opinion on what a fair price would be??? Other than the dash shell it's all available.

I bought @2012-Boss's front Recaros and rear seats a couple years ago for his asking price which was a little less than your number but you are in the ballpark. I have to give him a shoutout as they were in fantastic shape and I've been loving them. They are hard to find and desirable. There is a guy looking for Boss Recaros in the classifieds right now.

I bought @2012-Boss's front Recaros and rear seats a couple years ago for his asking price which was a little less than your number but you are in the ballpark. I have to give him a shoutout as they were in fantastic shape and I've been loving them. They are hard to find and desirable. There is a guy looking for Boss Recaros in the classifieds right now.
Ok that's good to know. I may part with the Recaros separately. I need a passenger seat for my first track event this summer so I may have to wait.

On Facebook groups people ask 2500 for the Boss Recaro seats in good shape. Of course I'm not sure if they get that, but everyone posts them for that.

The door panels are different, so they may have value. Back seats say "recaro" on the bottom but not sure how different they are from the regular stuff.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I agree with JDee to a point, the Recaros are not as good as a race seat , but for a stock butt holder they are, in my humble opinion , terrific. Getting in and out of various vehicles to Instruct, I look forward when someone has a Boss or something with Recaros because they do hold pretty darn well. I have found them solid enough in my street Mustangs ( 2 Boss 302s, 1 GT 350, and now the Mach 1 ) I have owned over the years, that I never replaced any of them. The secret is finding a way to be secured well in that or any seat , so a 6 point , as JDee mentioned, is the best way to do that , regardless of what your behind is perched on.

For newcomers there is a little secret to using your belt lap to snug you down better, but it is almost an art to get it to work. It involves grabbing the belt at the silver clasp and yanking it down to get the upper portion to lock. Your seat should be as far back as possible and you then pop the silver clasp into the red/black connector. The trick is getting it the correct length so it is still snug but having a few measly inches to secure the belt. Now, reach down , grab the lever in front of the seat ( or the power button on the side if power seats ) and pull it forward as far as possible till you can no longer breathe. Yes, the belt needs to stay locked and surprisingly it will hold you quite well, though not as good as a 6 point. This takes a little practice , as it is tricky ( frustrating is probably a better term ) , but limiting movement in the seat is important for quick times and if you don't have a bar with belts, this is an alternative and especially handy for those just starting.

My car came with Recaros, they might look purdy but they are not much better than stock on track, even with 6 point harnesses it's tough to stay in place. There's no substitute for a real race seat for a track car. Plus you save a pile of weight with a real race seat.
That's exactly why I installed a race seat after my first event. I had in-car video from between the front seats and I was amazed at how much the seat flexed and twisted in turns and when braking. The Recaro is great for the street but that's it.

I agree with JDee to a point, the Recaros are not as good as a race seat , but for a stock butt holder they are, in my humble opinion , terrific. Getting in and out of various vehicles to Instruct, I look forward when someone has a Boss or something with Recaros because they do hold pretty darn well. I have found them solid enough in my street Mustangs ( 2 Boss 302s, 1 GT 350, and now the Mach 1 ) I have owned over the years, that I never replaced any of them. The secret is finding a way to be secured well in that or any seat , so a 6 point , as JDee mentioned, is the best way to do that , regardless of what your behind is perched on.

For newcomers there is a little secret to using your belt lap to snug you down better, but it is almost an art to get it to work. It involves grabbing the belt at the silver clasp and yanking it down to get the upper portion to lock. Your seat should be as far back as possible and you then pop the silver clasp into the red/black connector. The trick is getting it the correct length so it is still snug but having a few measly inches to secure the belt. Now, reach down , grab the lever in front of the seat ( or the power button on the side if power seats ) and pull it forward as far as possible till you can no longer breathe. Yes, the belt needs to stay locked and surprisingly it will hold you quite well, though not as good as a 6 point. This takes a little practice , as it is tricky ( frustrating is probably a better term ) , but limiting movement in the seat is important for quick times and if you don't have a bar with belts, this is an alternative and especially handy for those just starting.
Thanks JDee and Bill for other thoughts. I recently sold my ‘13 LS and really liked the Recaro. I have only done HPDE and plan to stick with that with the new car. On its way to my garage is a ‘14 GT track pack that has comfort seats and a 4-point bar. So it is ready to bolt in a race seat. However I do plan to street drive the car so I would like the AB and restraint system to be fully functional. The “compromise” harness is a Skroth Pro-Fit that uses the factory holster and outboard anchor for the lap belt thus maintaining the factory safety system. The shortcoming is no 5th anchor point. This Skroth design allows use of a factory seat which leads me to the Boss Recaro.

Bill, I was taught the cinching method with the OE belt and buckle. Seat rearward, wrap/fold the buckle in the webbing which eliminates movement of the webbing, insert and pull the seat forward. It definitely gets the belt tight and it doesn’t relax.

I don't know what is unique in the boss, but fwiw for my Bullitt I have gotten some pretty crazy offers for the seats, steering wheel and gauge cluster. With time I think these parts will be more and more valuable once ford runs out of NOS.
I agree unobtainium = $$$. Boss Recaro $$ might be an indicator of the future Boss value curve.
Recaro seats were an option in ‘11-‘14 in cloth covers for a base GT (and leather in Premium GT). A salvage shop in GA has a set for $1250. These are manual adjust but lack the vertical adjustment that the Boss seat has.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Boss4me,

Save your money on the Schroth, as it has no anti-submarine characteristics so just get a 6 point that you can hook up to the seat with adapters. I have had them in a couple of cars , but not the Mustang, so sorry I can't remember where I got the parts , but they are available and not drilling in the floor is necessary -- and you can use the factory system still.

Recaro seats were an option in ‘11-‘14 in cloth covers for a base GT (and leather in Premium GT).
This is only true on 2013 and 2014 GTs. 2012 Boss 302 and 2012 GT500 were the first years and trims offered with the S197 Recaros. They were not available in 2012-and-earlier GT trims.

Also the Schroth Quickfit, Quickfit Pro, and Profi II ASM all have anti-submarining patches sewn in. Not sure if any of those models are what you were talking about, but just wanted to add clarity to Bill's post above.

Last edited:
This is only true on 2013 and 2014 GTs. 2012 Boss 302 and 2012 GT500 were the first years and trims offered with the S197 Recaros. They were not available in 2012-and-earlier GT trims.
Ok thanks mwjscn for the clarification. Based on the sample in the GA salvage yard, there is not a suitable OE substitute for the Boss seat.

My interior is far from stock as well so back in 2020 I sold the front seats for $3000 for the pair. Sold the airbags for $200 each and then sold a few assorted parts on Craigslist. I ended tossing the door panels, headliner, carpet and rear seats after having them take up space in the garage for about two years.

IMG_5879.jpg

IMG_5880.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I posted one should move past most of the Shroths, as the 4 points are not legal for SCCA or NASA or other racing because none of the groups feel they meet actual antisubmarine data. Schroth does make a very nice 6 point and imho that is the way to go. Granted the above information is based on being legal for racing groups, but why spend he money for a 4 point knowing it's issues when you can spend a bit more and get a 6 point. Folks often think the 4 point will solve their issue , but the fact that no racing group ( W2W ) will allow them ( must be a 5 or 6 point ) should be a signal of their true ability. In actuality, many groups are only allowing 6 points now, as they are far superior to a 5 point for protection and better against anti-submarining.

TMO Supporting Vendors