The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Favorite way to compress a McPherson strut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
So what's your favorite way to handle a real-live jack in the box?

I've usually rented the little shiznit tool from the parts store.... I was checking into just buying one for myself and I stumbles across this little joy.

https://www.harborfreight.com/single-action-strut-spring-compressor-43753.html

It's twice as much, but does it make the job of compressing a spring twice as easy? I can also buy the standard parts store tool. But, I'm tired of renting the tool not knowing what's going to be missing, which bolt for it will be stripped, etc., so I'd like to invest in my own tool for the future.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have a spring compressor set for coils that attack to the outside and work fine, they also fit inside conventional coils.
I am Not a big fan of Harbor freight quality. They may work a few times but are not made of the long haul.
I bought mine years ago. They look similar to these but can be used internal or external to the spring depending on the application.
https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-Mac...sprefix=coil+spring+compressor,aps,273&sr=8-6

I've used the usual crummy 'hook and screw' type numerous times on a few vehicles and it works 100% fine. It's not as trick as the piece you've linked but it works.

In the V6L
I have an OTC 6494, which looks the same as the HF unit, except it costs three times as much. I used the hook and screw ones for years, and got tired of fighting with them. The OTC is much easier to use and way safer.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I use the same set as TMSBOSS, only I use 2 sets on the spring, I feel a lot safer with 4 bolts caging the spring rather than just two bolts. Less chance for the spring to slip out and do some serious damage, lots of stored energy. You can reposition a pair of bolts while the other pair holds the spring. Harbor Freight, Ebay, Northern Tool all selling the same tool.

Bay Area
FWIW- I only buy HF tools to break them. I consider that my disposable tool store. If you're doing one and done job then do it and don't expect much from the HF tool afterwards. If you plan on using them on a regular basis buy something that is known to last. But I must say, I did buy a set of impact sockets from HF almost 20 years ago. They are still working just as good as my snap on and craftsman stuff so I did get lucky there

FWIW- I only buy HF tools to break them. I consider that my disposable tool store. If you're doing one and done job then do it and don't expect much from the HF tool afterwards. If you plan on using them on a regular basis buy something that is known to last. But I must say, I did buy a set of impact sockets from HF almost 20 years ago. They are still working just as good as my snap on and craftsman stuff so I did get lucky there

Agreed, most of their stuff is such poor "made somewhere else" quality. I had a 3/8th drive ext just twist and come apart with maybe 10ftlbs. Checked it at work, poor material and heat treat surface was hard middle was "O" condition soft.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
My favorite way to compress a McPerson strut is to.......................let someone else do it.

Sorry ,could not resist and pretty sure Tyme, TMS, 12CoBoss, Auteaux and others will agree ( on my favorite way to do lots of work ), ha?!

Last edited:
I have the HFT compressor above. It's HEAVY and bit cumbersome but it does the job. If I had to do it again I would get the two-piece set TymeSlayer uses.

TMO Supporting Vendors