The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Fays 2 and strano bar installed - noise in watts link?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I got a used watts in the car!

The fays 2 is hooked up, much easier when everything is so close to right on the used one anyway.

It made noises when i shook the rear wheels - just a silent clunk or thud.

I could simulate it shaking the rods and am pretty certain it’s the helm joinyd / spherical rods that are making the racket. Is there any reason to be concerned or is anything loose? Previous owner said he triple checked torques after 100 miles and just never heard it any more.

So what’s your thoughts?

In the V6L
I had a Fays2 on my 2011 GT. IF all the bolts are tight, then you need new spherical joints. The spherical joints wear because there are no dust boots - they're exposed to the environment - and they get noisy. Just give Jim Fay a call and order a new set.

The problem with anything mechanical that starts to make noise from wear is that wear accelerates as play opens up in the joint.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
So I need to put it on my plans to replace those... in the mean time, they scare the crap out of the tech inspectors at HPDE but I'm sort of lucky in that regard, as an instructor I usually tech myself. :D

It's nothing to my determination that is a detriment to safety but something that should be addressed nonetheless - I'm safe to track in the mean time, I take it?

Good! My Fays2 is quiet other than the occasional minor clunk when my car is doing some low rpm RST judder or over seriously broken pavement.

In the V6L
...It's nothing to my determination that is a detriment to safety but something that should be addressed nonetheless - I'm safe to track in the mean time, I take it?
I guess the easy answer is "are you passing your own tech inspection?" Mine was clunking for a while - probably half a dozen track days - before I figured out what it was because it sounded like something loose in the car. Everything felt solid so I wasn't sure it was the problem until I replaced the joints and it was quiet again. The spherical joints don't have to move very far to make a noise.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I guess the easy answer is "are you passing your own tech inspection?" Mine was clunking for a while - probably half a dozen track days - before I figured out what it was because it sounded like something loose in the car. Everything felt solid so I wasn't sure it was the problem until I replaced the joints and it was quiet again. The spherical joints don't have to move very far to make a noise.

I thought it was my imagination but i swear I actually saw the one arm move on the propeller while shaking the wheel one time. I held that bar firm with one hand and shook the car by the sway bar with the other and that muffled the noise down to a tik versus a thud.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
I have the Fays2 bar and it's still solid 5 years later. I spray it and grease it every time I'm under the car. Needs a little maintenance like the LCAs but last a while if you keep up. One reason for the thud is simply the rubber o-rings wearing and the joint hitting the washer at max droop or compression. I told Jim and he sent a free set of O-rings. They were very helpful at first too while setting up the car. It was fantastic dealing with them.

TMO Supporting Vendors