The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Federal Track Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just pulled the trigger on a set of Federal FZ-201 semi-slick DOT track tires size 285/30/18. They seem to get great reviews in Europe and at $680 shipped to my door the price was hard to pass up. I plan to run both track days and local hillclimbs this year. I will have 305 slicks on 18x11's for the track and the Federal's on 10's for the hills as they should grip better with short runs and no warm up. I will report back in the spring on how they work. If anyone has any experience with Federals I would love to hear.

In for updates.

Do they hold air, are they sticky, etc

LOL I can attest they hold air. Just got them mounted. I had hoped to do my first hillclimb on June 9th but my car is still being put back together and needs the clutch installed. Not sure I will make it. I will hopefully scrub them in at a track day in June sometime and let you know.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I missed out on getting zestinos into Chile. The price FOB from China was US$400 for a set of four 305/xxx-18 slicks..... But I see them for sale for WAY!!! more then that... hard to imagine them doing well.... Apparently they are very heavy and the lap times are not competitive.

Well I can report my initial experience with the Federal tires was not what I had hoped but I can't blame it all on the tires. I was doing my first hillclimb this weekend....very long, challenging and fast (130 mph+) and it was wet. Temps were in the mid-upper 80's and the pavement was mostly dry by my third run. Tires were still brand new with only a few street miles on them. Could not get the rear end to bite and the car just seemed to drift to the outside of every turn....no grip at either end. I had run this hill back in the 90's so it wasn't a complete surprise but I was not even in the game. Granted, the car was just set-up by Phoenix for track duty and was basically sitting on the ground with the tiny 18's and 30 sidewall (285/30/18). Way too stiff. I will put them on my car for a few laps during the next track day so they get a heat cycle in them and maybe I can give you a better evaluation of their track worth. Yes, they appear to be a harder tire but for someone on a budget that's not a bad thing.....they were super cheap!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel