The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Feeler Thread: BOSS Transmission Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
OK--it seems that the GT has a number of either transmission or clutch issues.

We know the Boss has a different clutch assembly from Exedy.

I'd like to use this thread to log any issues noted w/ the BOSS that are similar to what's encountered in the GT.

You Q1 owners, as you start accumulating miles, let us know if you notice anything weird or have problems!!

I believe most to the issues with the 2011 5 DOT 0's are related to the clutch.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Dean#4AI said:
4pipes said:
The higher you wind it up, the easier it is to slip it into the next gear.

Plus you don't have to worry about skip-shift. I just can't get used to it! :mad:

I don't have my car yet, so I can't confirm, but someone said if you simply get under the car, unplug the skip shift connector and secure it/heat shrink the open end, you are done...

When I was gonna order a new 5.0, I did my homework and was disgusted that Ford would use some slappy ass Chinese transmission in the Mustang! :mad: WTF?!!! So do we have the Chinese trans too?

GA
Superlead76 said:
When I was gonna order a new 5.0, I did my homework and was disgusted that Ford would use some slappy ass Chinese transmission in the Mustang! :mad: WTF?!!! So do we have the Chinese trans too?

Yep- and the 5.0 engine is made in Canada to boot. :p I think the Boss engines are modified in the US.

The previous Tremec tranny was made in Mexico but at least the 4.6 engine was made in the US.

Take a look around your house- 90% of what you have is made in China. Made in USA is largely a thing of the past.

GA
Dean#4AI said:
4pipes said:

Plus you don't have to worry about skip-shift. I just can't get used to it! :mad:

If you bring your car to a tuner they should be able turn off skip shift. The Ford Racing power pack tune for the 2011+ GT disables it, and so does the Red Key.

GA
4pipes said:

According to what I read about skip shift, if you wind out first gear the first few times while driving the computer disables the skip shift feature until you restart the car again.

PJWANNABE said:
4pipes said:

According to what I read about skip shift, if you wind out first gear the first few times while driving the computer disables the skip shift feature until you restart the car again.

I don't think my car has ever forced me to shift from 1st to 4th. Are we sure this is active on the Boss?

2012 Boss racer

BossJockey said:
PJWANNABE said:
4pipes said:

I don't think my car has ever forced me to shift from 1st to 4th. Are we sure this is active on the Boss?

I have not encountered the skip shift either. This transmission feels like it will go into just about any gear you want any time you want!
BossJockey said:
PJWANNABE said:
4pipes said:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
jimprw said:
So it the consensus then that the Boss has the Chinese transmission?

It is the same trans as the GT, but with an Exedy clutch assembly.

GA
ArizonaGT said:
jimprw said:
So it the consensus then that the Boss has the Chinese transmission?

It is the same trans as the GT, but with an Exedy clutch assembly.

If the Boss is going to have a weak link it is probably going to be the transmission. Everything else seems to be rock solid.

TMO Supporting Vendors