The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Finally Broke down and Chicane 23 is making a major change to my Boss S !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Like so many ( Captain Distraction , Arizona Boss to name a few ) I got tired of the issue of fuel starvation if the factory saddleback fuel tank was even moderately low on fuel, so after help and discussions with AZ and the Capt. I finally decided to make a move. Jonathan Blevins ( 2018 & 2019 Ultimate Street Car Challenge Class Winner ) and owner of Chicane 23 ( the Distributor of all Tiger Hoods ) and I have been friends for quite awhile as we were both good friends of Paul Brown and had instructed together at many of the Mustang Roundups in Hastings, Ne. He has the same mindset as Capaldi Racing and Paul's Automotive Engineering ( site sponsors ) in that his work is essentially borderline super anal!! Having seen his nasty and pristine GT500 at Mustang Roundup events and having followed his success in the Ultimate Street Car Challenge ( heck, he won best presentation over all the cars competing one year ) I decided I needed to let him get my fuel starvation issue handled. He is a bit closer to me than either Capaldi Racing or PAE, and I considered both of those places too, but I know Jonathan well and there was friendship along with respect for his skills to consider. He mirrored the advice both AZBoss and Captdistraction gave me and after going back and forth between surge tank and the stock tank or going with a fuel cell, the immaculate work on Jonathan's GT 500 swayed me --- going for the full tilt boogie cell for long term racing safety! I already had some Chicane 23 parts ( CF Hood ,wing endplates ) and have ordered other parts from Mr. Blevins as he carries a lot of other parts and systems for the Mustang and other track prepped machines. Looking forward to going back and getting the car, though I screwed up my back recently and can not even drive my truck long distances at present -- life is getting in the way of my racing hobby, ha!

Have to admit Jonathan's shop is way cool, and somehow it gives me a pleasant feeling dealing with another friend of Paul Brown's. Kind of feel like I am helping continue his legacy and input with the Boss and Jonathan is a World of unique information concerning the car that I had not heard from anyone prior. I need to stay away from his website though, or I may end up getting more Chicane 23 stuff ( well , I already have him doing a few more items anyway, ha ) as his company does so much more than just sending Tiger hoods to customers or his distributors. Now I just need to get my back squared away so I can hammer some serious Gs without starving for fuel like I did with the stock saddleback tank that sucked ---actually the problem was reverse , it did not suck, ha!!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Pretty pumped with a custom 15 gallon tank fitting into the spare tire well and after seeing Jonathan's system I might be able to charge folks to just come by and view the handiwork, ha. Tyme would be quite pleased as Blevins is in the same league as him for keeping things pristine and in their place. I do need to stop looking at the chicane23.com website since I keep finding more things I might as well get done!

Last edited:
In the V6L
Pretty pumped with a custom 15 gallon tank fitting into the spare tire well and after seeing Jonathan's system I might be able to charge folks to just come by and view the handiwork, ha. Tyme would be quite pleased as Blevins is in the same league as him for keeping things pristine and in their place. I do need to stop looking at the chicane23.com website since I keep finding more things I might as well get done!
A couple of interesting things to me in this: first, I've used Pyrotect helmets (carbon fibre, full face) for years and love them. I knew they made fuel cells but this is the first time I've seen one. Second, given the frustration that some have reported with the factory 16 gallon tank running low in longer sessions, what was behind the decision to go with a 15 gallon cell rather than, say, 20 gallons? Was there just not enough room?

BTW - I thought you were laying low for a while - sounds like you're back in action... am I reading this wrong?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Almost all tanks that fit the spare tire well are only 12 gallons, and this was a custom one done like Jonathan Blevins did in his GT 500. 15 gallons seems to be towards the maximum end for a really clean and neat fit. I don't plan on doing any Endurance races and wanted a well tank and did not find any who could do a 20 that fit ( at least without going into a zillion dollars . The number of gallons is not the issue of fuel starvation as much as the goofy saddleback shape of the tank. If you noticed we are also using a Deatschwerks pump to help with getting fuel to the car in a constant manner. I considered that Jonathan Blevins is not only one fast mother I have run with during events we Instructed at , adding his two Ultimate Street Car Challenge wins convinced me I probably needed to spend my money with someone who was at the top of his game.Working with some of the folks I found near me , none who had done Mustang systems I bit the bullet. I have been laying low due to some health concerns, but trying to be optimistic and do what I think the car needs after I lost two races last year when the beast was sucking air instead of petroleum products. There are actually quite a few racing friends of mine using Pyrotech cells so I never gave it a second thought on Jonathan's recommendation. He had already done the homework because chatting with him he also wanted a sanitary install in the well and I figured if good enough for him with his Encyclopedia of contacts , it would be more than fine for me;. Plus, I am a sucker for pretty quality work and Mr. Blevins is the " King of Presentation" in my estimation. Thanks for asking.

Yeh, I posted earlier I decided to hang onto the White Stallion. Had a few health situations , but figured it was just more of an inconvenience than something stopping the track addiction.
If i find a trailer im coming to roundup

TMO Supporting Vendors