The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FINALLY going to get out on track this year!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This year was supposed to be the year I hit the track as many times as possible. Unfortunately, it's taken until now for me to actually get the time and resources due to some work related things and life in general.

I finally got around to getting some stainless hoses and brake pads and fluid with the help of the guys over at KNS Brakes. I've got the hoses on, fluid swapped, and some speed bleeders installed along with the carbotech 1521 street pads. Carbotech says the street pad compound plays nice with the track compounds so hopefully I won't have issues with running the same rotors.

That being said, I've registered myself for a single day HPDE at Autobahn Country Club here in Chicagoland in September, the 17th. Also looking at a 2 day weekend in October up at Gingerman in South Haven, Michigan.

Hopefully going to have a blast out there, can't wait to see how this car is on track.

That's great news, you're going to have a blast! Will this be your first time on track? What tires are on your car and how old are they?

Please no! This money is the big problem for me. Haha.

In all seriousness, the fluid swaps are a shot in the arm because this car is my daily driver so I'm paying obvious cost of track entry and then an oil change to 5-50 for track and then back to 5-20 to go back to work the next day.

Crossing my fingers that street tires keep me slow enough to not burn up brakes too badly and that camber plates keep me from tearing up the tires too badly. Another 300 or so for brake cooling kit or however much for new front tire(s) would probably put me out of gingerman in October. Money has been tight to say the least. I'm amazed I'm even getting out at all this season. Lol

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
How about next season? ;)

Just kidding! I do think it's a good idea to drive the car near stock as much as possible before going down the slippery slope...and I'll be more than happy to help spend when that time comes!

But the one mod I would still encourage are the brake ducts.

Have fun!

@Grant 302
Yeah I'm not against the brake cooling I'm just poor haha.
Although, I deleted the grille mounted fog lights and installed GT/CS fog lamps in the lower valence and I have one that's letting water into itself. I also see that blowfish has a set of brackets that allow me to use those fog lamp bezels as air inlets for ducting so I might just rip those lamps out and go that route since I already have the bezels.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'm not really partial to keeping the lights. Initially I just didn't want the front to be bare but if I put the brake ducting there I can proclaim it to be "because racecar" and that's sufficient enough haha

@TMSBOSS
I was wondering that. I was thinking about paying to buy the pads pre bedded from
KNS and then I suppose since carbotech says the track pads play nice with their street compound that it shouldn't be an issue to just swap and go.

You should have it Friday!!! On a side note I used the carbotech pads myself. Started with XP10 and went up to XP24. I would deal with Mike directly and he would prebed them which is awesome. Then I just swapped between the 1521s and the track pads without issue. You should consider doing that as well.

@jpt3
Yeah I'm running the 1521's now so that will work. XP24 is serious! I'm not sure I'll need all that on a street tire. I still haven't ordered them, which I should do soon actually, but I was planning on going 12s in front and 10s in the rear.

Interesting.
At @jpt3 recommendation, I contacted Mike at carbotech and after quick conversation he suggested I run XP10 up front, 8 rear. Rationale being that they shouldn't overpower the street tires too easily but still offer good thermal ceiling.

TMO Supporting Vendors