The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FINALLY going to get out on track this year!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick shout out to @jpt3 for his packaging job on that blowfish kit... I cut the tape on the box and the damn thing flew open and the hoses came flying out scared the crap out of me hahahahhhaha

Haha same thing happened to me when I got them!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any good tips on a ballpark starting cold tire pressures for street tires? I'm assuming there's some small extra inflation to keep em from rolling the front sidewalls? Not sure obviously.

@Grant 302 I'll give that a shot.
My plan here is to go out there and give it as much hell as I feel safe doing and at the end of the day if I haven't broken anything or ruined the tires then I'll register for the weekend at Gingerman in October.

I've got that brake cooling installed now, so I'm at ease with my brake system now. My only lingering concern is overall cooling. I've got that GT500 grille set installed to open up the airflow, and I have the Boss factory oil to water cooler, but this is just a lowly GT, so I have the smaller radiator from stock. If I end up having cooling issues because of that, then I'll probably have to scrap the Gingerman plans because I can't imagine being able to squeeze a radiator into the budget between now and then. Although some of them (Mishimoto) seem really affordable, some of them (CR Racing) seem really expensive.

I know you're just using this as an expression but don't give it hell. My favorite quote from Bob Bondurant is Smooth is Fast and Fast is Smooth. Work up to your speed, a track day is not a race. Relax and have fun.

@Mad302 im not too sure how good my review is going to be as I haven't any other tires to compare them to. I've driven aggressively on Pilot Super Sports before but it was on a completely different car, my previous Focus ST, and I'm not sure I can cross compare. But I'll be sure to let everyone know what happens!

ed2e11e5e80a3adb337e127d89a359f2.jpgfe1286e2d6bbdc2cd0ed10c8335c30cd.jpg After overheating at Road Atlanta, I installed FR MGT radiator, CoolTech oil cooler kit, racing thermostat, 302S grill, removed A/C condenser, and use DI water/water wetter. I've had zero issues since.

@SGwick My hope is that Autobahn and Gingerman aren't fast enough for me to really overheat it. Road Atlanta has some monster power sections! Haha

Also I see that Illinois plate, whereabouts are you from? I'm in the southwest burbs, Hickory Hills.

@SGwick My hope is that Autobahn and Gingerman aren't fast enough for me to really overheat it. Road Atlanta has some monster power sections! Haha

Also I see that Illinois plate, whereabouts are you from? I'm in the southwest burbs, Hickory Hills.

I'm from Southern Illinois by St Louis.

Okay! We made it without (major) incident!

Went out to Autobahn Country Club on Sunday and ran the south circuit. For those of you who haven't been there, its a 2.1 mile circuit that I found pretty fun. For those of you who HAVE been there, you'll recognize the times I'm about to reference as VERY slow for this track. I'm new, sue me. LOL Here's how it all went.

Started out with a meeting in the morning as usual and was paired with an instructor named Shane who was in advanced group piloting a 5th gen Camaro 1LE. Super cool guy, really deserves some credit for tolerating my slow self.

The plan was to run 7 20-minute sessions. Session 1 I just kind of tolled around the track and felt out the car a little bit. The first 10 minutes of the first session didn't allow passing just to get everyone kind of familiar with the course without worrying about point-by's.

Session 2 I ran into some issues. Started trying to lean on the tires a little bit to find out what they sound and feel like as they run out of grip and all was going well. On the 3rd lap I ran what would end up being my second fastest time of the day and on the next lap I got meatball flagged back into the pit and was told a corner worker saw some smoke coming from my rear end. So I took her back to the paddock to discover what I was afraid would happen. Backstory, Carbotech had sent me the incorrect rear pads and so while I had XP10's on the front, I was forced to run the 1521 street pads on the rear as I wasn't able to get the XP8's sent to me in time for the track day. They had begun to let out some smoke, although I didn't feel any loss of braking, looking at them it was obvious that they had seen some heat they didn't like. So I skipped the 3rd session going into the lunch break to let the car completely cool down.

Come back out for session 4 after talking to my instructor and we had decided we were gonna just point by everyone and work on getting the line right at a reduced pace. This course has a couple of double apex turns, one of which will really help your lap times as it goes right into a speed section and another corner that they call "patience" because it requires a really late apex, but if you hit that line right you set yourself perfectly for the next turn that leads into the track's longest straight. Big time to be made up there if you get it right.

We also worked on braking, hoping that if we could get the time on brake reduced that we could help the backs stay off their temp ceiling. This ended up showing itself as the 3rd fastest lap of the day halfway through the session.

Session 5 was more of the same although with more point-by's and no fast times posted.

I went into session 6 having told my instructor that this was going to be my last session. I was going to skip session 7 in hopes of getting out of Joliet before the NASCAR race let out so I could beat the traffic and get home at a reasonable time. So we go out and he's like okay we're gonna see what we can do and he really helped me push the car. Set my fastest time of the day on lap 3 and was on pace to destroy that time on the following lap, but the rear pads gave up the ghost and faded pretty good on the back straight braking zone and I let the car go straight off through the turn instead of try and turn it. By the time it went 4 off, we weren't moving too fast and no damage was sustained, took the safest exit and then a cool down lap under caution and pitted to end the day.

Overall, I had a fantastic time. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I can properly give review of the Continental Extreme Contact Sport's I was running as I really wasn't able to find any sort of limit from them without first running out of rear brake. They definitely have a lot more speed to be had out of them.

To give you all an idea of what's going on, here's my fastest laps and the max/min speed data from the GPS unit that was in my car.

1:58.8 - 106.3mph/32.9mph
1:54.7 - 107.6mph/28.2mph (2nd session, rear brake smoke, no fade)
1:54.2 - 107.6mph/35.4mph (Final session, final flying lap)

Now, on my final flying lap I had no one in front of me and that persisted into what would be my last lap when the rears finally had it. I had finished the 54.2 lap fairly well and was being guided more aggressively by my instructor who was doing a great job of finding speed for me. This lap really was the first one that really felt "good" to me. While I don't have a time for the lap, or a minimum speed data because I ended up putting the car off due to brake fade, I do have the top speed, 110.5mph. I had spent all day flirting with the high 90's and low 100's back on that back straight with the 106, and 107's coming when I started to figure out that late apex set up turn. To see a 110.5 on a lap that 'felt' much faster makes me kind of disappointed that I was unable to finish the lap at pace to see what it would have amounted to.

That all being said, I learned a lot, too much to list here. But suffice it to say that I'm hooked. I knew I would be, but damn now I'm afraid you all are gonna spend all my money FOR SURE haha. Mike at Carbotech was more than apologetic about having sent the wrong pads and with the correct pads coming tomorrow I'm hoping to be able to make one more event before the end of the year. There's a 2-day at Gingerman in South Haven, MI at the end of October, that's the goal. We'll see what happens!

@VoodooBoss I didn't take any pictures or videos but I believe there was some video recorded by the people who hosted the event that is being compiled and will be sent out to us in the coming days. A few of the guys I went with had dash cams and all manner of other fun toys that I'm much too poor to afford at the moment. But I'm sure I'll gather some goodies for next year.

@TMSBOSS teah but that’s a Wednesday and I can’t take off work for this. Gingerman weekend makes more sense at the moment because it’s two days on a weekend and one of our friends has a place up there we can stay at for free. So that’s likely the play for me. We’ll see.

TMO Supporting Vendors